Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertising and sales promotion that vie for your attention

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree with you guys. Advertising has reached such an irritating level that the most logical reaction is to switch off!
    No wonder kids today are all screwed up with mental and psychological problems.

I have not switched on a radio for maybe 20 years or more? (they play crap music anyway) I just cannot stand the mindless chatter, hip hop and rap crap.
    I have a number of USB's loaded with Classics, Rock, Blues and some 60's and 70's music. No adds, only favourites. Sing along and be in a happy mood!

My viewing has changed to pre-recorded programmes, Netflix etc which I can watch whenever I like, not when the TV channel decides its movie time.
    My investment in an android device has set me free from the crap on DSTV.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I have to agree with you guys. Advertising has reached such an irritating level that the most logical reaction is to switch off!
    No wonder kids today are all screwed up with mental and psychological problems.

I have not switched on a radio for maybe 20 years or more? (they play crap music anyway) I just cannot stand the mindless chatter, hip hop and rap crap.
    I have a number of USB's loaded with Classics, Rock, Blues and some 60's and 70's music. No adds, only favourites. Sing along and be in a happy mood!

My viewing has changed to pre-recorded programmes, Netflix etc which I can watch whenever I like, not when the TV channel decides its movie time.
    My investment in an android device has set me free from the crap on DSTV.
    Very good morning to you Blurock,

Two things.

That's why it's imperative that we understand what techniques advertisers employ. It is for this reason I want to look into conditioning.

Try 702 on weekends for music. You won't be disappointed!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    Very good morning to you Blurock,

Two things.

That's why it's imperative that we understand what techniques advertisers employ. It is for this reason I want to look into conditioning.

Try 702 on weekends for music. You won't be disappointed!
    The problem with advertising is that there is so much of it all the time that it has become like the sound / sight of constantly buzzing bees. Nothing stands out because everything is annoying and thus avoided at all costs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    The problem with advertising is that there is so much of it all the time that it has become like the sound / sight of constantly buzzing bees. Nothing stands out because everything is annoying and thus avoided at all costs.
    But yet they able to place certain brands in your mind subconsciously by using subliminal perception. Both advertising and consumer behavior. Both are classified as sciences in the broader field of psychology.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    But yet they able to place certain brands in your mind subconsciously by using subliminal perception. Both advertising and consumer behavior. Both are classified as sciences in the broader field of psychology.
    Maybe 20 years ago. I consciously avoid all forms of advertising because of the annoyance (...and being too poor to be able to afford to purchase anything of value anyway)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The problem today is that everything can/and is faked/programmed with Photoshop etc. We are now conditioned not to believe anything due to all the fakery - Fake news / Fake people / Facebook fakes / Instagram fakes / Its kinda like everybody are faking everything everywhere all the time. Beautiful women are fake, car exhausts and vents are fake, food is fake and and and.... I think that anybody that believes anything advertisers say have rocks in their heads.

The worst of it is loaning money to lead fake lives driven by fake advertising of fake obsolescent consumerist junk to impress fake friends with fake imagery on Instagram and Facebook (which fake security and privacy)

The most important thing for me about advertising, photography, writing or art for that matter is that there has to be deeper meaning when one looks beyond the superficial face value. Like art, any fool can slap paint on a canvas and replicate a scene but it takes a special person with a very special "eye" or "sense" to capture the "feel" or emotion of the scene. Some photographers are able to do this naturally but most just take "happy snaps"

Ok, lets look at this from a totally different angle - I will take my own prejudices out of the debate and just look at it academically.

What makes an advertisement memorable (jut some thoughts):

1. A great tagline:
    - Just do it.
    - Its not inside its on top.
    - We can't change the way the world looks but we can change the way you see it.
    - I'm lovin it!

2. Great story telling that encapsulates the message that the advertiser is trying to get across without actually saying so:
    - The Allan Gray ads do this perfectly.
    - Some of the older Volvo ads were able to do this with safety.
    - The old VW ads with David Kramer and other artists kinda showing family life with their products. These ads worked because the music was really good (Not that I am a David Kramer fan but the image was appropriate for the time)

3. Cuteness:
    - Remember the old Chomp ads with the Hippos. I can still see the little hippo trying to stretch its mouth to eat the 2c chomp with his mother.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (27-Feb-21)

Thanks
    Blurock

Sounds as if you, like myself, will enjoy the sounds of LM Radio softly in the background. Try tuning in.

You will enjoy.

Peace out ... Derek

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    This reply may be but relevant to music used to convey emotion.
    Just last week, I was again having a discussion with my wife about this, after watching one of the latest movies, well a year or so ago old movie, which had used many extensive musical pieces from the 80s music, which suited the movie very well and was remarked by critics as a must see movie.

My leading sentence was "Luv are we getting old, all this new music is a load of crap and sounds the same nonsense, and sounds like I have rocks in my head bouncing around and disappears in a couple of days to be replaced by more of the same crap, it is as if the youngsters have last the art of creativity!. Have you noticed the number of so called 'old music' is beginning to appear in the latest movies."
    She agreed and said that there are very few modern musicians who can put a decent string of notes together. There is very little one can do with clap trap that can induce a sense of emotion in a movie scene.

Is it that every type or way of melody has already been produced by 'bygone musicians', or is it that the teenagers just have no idea how to be creative anymore but try and shock society in their so called way to fame, which of course is the reason that they disappear quickly.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    "Luv are we getting old, all this new music is a load of crap and sounds the same nonsense, and sounds like I have rocks in my head bouncing around and disappears in a couple of days to be replaced by more of the same crap, it is as if the youngsters have last the art of creativity!. Have you noticed the number of so called 'old music' is beginning to appear in the latest movies."

Very good day to you Justloadit,

You are as old as you feel

Personally I feel 18!
    Click here
    sabbaticus

11. Thanks given for this post:

Justloadit (27-Feb-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The problem with "popular" music is that it is designed to make money from the masses - no different to cars - that is why it all sounds and looks the same.

There are still really great artists out there - we just have to look harder - Spotify is really great for finding good music.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast