Thread: Lighting / Switch control

Thanks

Lighting / Switch control

Hi everyone,

Any regulations specific to lighting control / plug control used in home automation systems?

One of he big issues is the location of the 'switchgear'. Most systems offer DIN rail mounted equipment requiring a DB board. You also get some wall mountable systems - http://dynalite-online.com/frames/products.htm

Obviously when retro-fitting an existing house with such a system placing the DB board can be an issue. Is there any law prohibiting the DB from being in the roof?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to my electricians, as long as it is a sub-db, there's no problem with it being in the roof void.

Suspended
    Thanks
    would this not fall into the same dispute about distribution board and control panels i read an article in the latest sparks mag. by mark palmer...swimming pools and spas...you can have a spa control panel /DB in an enclosed part under the spa in the bathroom.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Isn't that about where you draw the line between the zones?

Suspended
    Thanks
    no...sparks march 2008 pg 9...whether its a distribution board or a control board...if the switchboard is regarded as control then the responsibility is up to the supply terminals of the appliance...if the switchboard supplies any other circuits not associated with the control of the appliance then it must be regarded as a distribution board and clause 6,6 must be applied.

Silver Member
    Thanks

Distribution board in the ceiling

If you are refering to a distribution board then bear the following in mind,

6.6.1.6 Any point of a distribution board that has to be reached during
    normal operation shall not exceed a height of 2,2 m above floor (or walking)
    level. However, the board may be mounted higher if it can be disconnected
    from the supply by a switch-disconnector that is less than 2,2 m above floor
    leve

I would imagine that situating a distribution board in the ceiling is not allowed
    Lee

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I would imagine that situating a distribution board in the ceiling is not allowed
    What is deemed as the floor level in a roof void?

Suspended
    Thanks
    this could become an interesting subject...where are the components the DB is supplying only in the roof...common sense would tell me to put the main switch where it can be reached without the use of a stepladder unless the roof space is through a door like i have seen in some houses i have worked in...the other question would be is it a sub DB or control box...fed from a main DB with a main switch which can switch off the entire installation?

i had a query once about a standby generator and the positioning of the changeover switch and isolators...do you put the changeover switch next to the generator...what if there is a fire...the fireman goes into the building to switch off the main switch and they start spraying water but because there are so many illegal installations with no labels or better still they dont know were the generator is positioned or that there is even one installed...the generator starts up and because the generator feeds directly onto the buzzbar and not the supply side of the main switch... man am i glad i am not a fireman

any installation just requires a little common sense which unfortunately is not included in the budget in most cases.

i had a problem years ago were some kids were burnt by chlorine in a swimming pool the main pump had switched off but the chlorine dosing pump did not...so when the main pump switched back on it just so happened that there were children in the pool at the time...i had not worked on this system...i was called out to come up with the solution which is almost 100% fool proof...which is still used in most school and public swimming pools to this day...the point i am trying to make is just think a little before you do something and remember the rules are guide lines to help make our lives a little safer.

i found this in the sparks news "the superior man seeks what is right; the inferior one ,what is profitable" now i know why i am always so broke

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    the other question would be is it a sub DB or control box...fed from a main DB with a main switch which can switch off the entire installation?
    It would have to be a sub DB in this instance surely.
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    any installation just requires a little common sense which unfortunately is not included in the budget in most cases.
    That's a scary thought. I've had this saying - "When it comes to safety, budget is not the main issue." Normally this is in answer to people questioning why they should get a new electrical COC from time to time, particularly when a property is being sold. But it applies to so much else, doesn't it.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have had to get back into the swing of things in a real hurry because now i have a bond to pay...for 2 days now i have been working my butt off to try get some loot in before the end of the month otherwise my new house is going to be on the market as a repo.

the best and quickest way for me to make money is to go back on the tools for a few weeks...which brings me to my point...material quality and work quality...it has been rush rush rush...now heres the problem i have not had time to check the installations which concerns me and i have other commitments which i need to attend to...there always seems to be time to go back and check...i now have one 3 pages long...get back to list which is just getting longer everyday.

the next thing is the equipment which i have been installing 3 out of ten boxes are faulty...the quality of plug sockets and light switches are absolutly disgusting...real cheap rubbish...i am not going to mention names but it seems like the SABS standards are becoming like everything else in this country...

i could go on about the saddles etc etc but i wont bore you with the details.