Thread: 30 years today

Diamond Member
    Thanks

30 years today

Today 30 years ago I started my small bussiness ... no bussiness plan ... no money in the bank and just a Golf with roof racks ... my toolbox from my apprenticeship ... a 6 ft ladder and the will power to hang in there.

I was hoping to have my overdraft facility paid up by today ... due to events over the past few months ... I only managed to drop it to just over R10 000 ... which will be paid up by the end of the month.

Every piece of test equipment ... tools ... vehicles ... stock ... is paid up in full ... including the cedit card.

There have been good days and bad days ... made bucket loads of money and been screwed out of just as much money ... between so called insurance investments (a bad choice of broker ... I lost a lot of money ... dont trust any of them) and bad debt customers they almost got the better of me ... but thanks to the good customer who help you reach your goals.

A tip ... you want to be around for a long time ... focus on your customer experience policy ... without them you screwed ... but in saying that dump the shyte customers who add no posisitve input to you or your bussines ... they just drag you down ... let them go and move forward.

By the way I still dont have a bussines plan ... there are too many people out there telling people how to do shyte and too few people actually taking a chance and making shyte happen.

Another tip ... pay your taxes ... I have personally made the mistake many years ago ... of not keeping up to date with tax returns and payment ... make sure you have a good bookeeper/accountant ... I had a crook doing my books ... he retired and left me in really bad financial position ... I had to sell lots of stuff to pay the tax man ... the crook got me to pay him R10 000 just before he ducked ... never to be seen again ... left my books in mess.

Its not always about the money ... your time is the most valuable asset you will every own ... dont waste it on making other people dreams come true ... get out ther eand make it happen.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

2. Thank given for this post:

Derlyn (16-Feb-21), tec0 (16-Feb-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations,

I started my company also in 1991, cant remember the exact month, but I think it was June.

I also have traveled a similar road to you.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

4. Thank given for this post:

Derlyn (16-Feb-21), ians (16-Feb-21), tec0 (16-Feb-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations to both of you for a great achievement! Obviously your reputation had a lot to do with your long-lived business achievements. I note the ups and downs, which I am also still experiencing. What stands out is the following from Ian
    focus on your customer experience policy ... without them you screwed ... but in saying that dump the shyte customers who add no posisitve input to you or your bussines ... they just drag you down ... let them go and move forward.
    This is so true. Peter Drucker, the marketing guru says the sole purpose of a business is to create a customer. I follow that philosophy to the extreme.

What the customer experience is what he tells his friends. Word of mouth is the best advertising. Someone once said " its not so much what you say to people, but how your words made them feel". I will apply that to service as well. A happy customer is money in my pocket!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

6. Thank given for this post:

Derlyn (16-Feb-21), Justloadit (16-Feb-21)

Thanks
    Yep Ian

We've basically been down the same road. Ex SAR&H electricians.

There are 2 paths that one can follow:

Be super rich with many enemies OR make a decent living by striving, along the way, to become friends with all your clients.
    Fortunately, I chose the latter and am still at it today, at 62, making new friends everyday.

In fact, some of my best friends today were some of my most difficult clients. Today they are paying for the jam.

Nice thread, brother.

Peace out ... Derek

8. Thanks given for this post:

ians (16-Feb-21)