Thread: 2021 (Industry wants and needs)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

2021 (Industry wants and needs)

hi everyone,

So on a more serious note of things.

Been looking into software development for a while now and is slowly breaking the ice between what is real and what is fictional.

Now i am not a big brain when it comes to coding BUT i know my way around a few languages.

For a while now me, myself and I have been wondering IF coding isn't the future.

I mean coding is in everything and in almost every device we use. From your smart cars to smart toasters it is always around us.

So i was wondering what SA industries are using:

Examples:

• Java
    • Java script
    • Python
    • C#
    • Kotlin + android
    • Java + android
    • HTML5

So what did you run into and do you think there is a honest future for the individual developer?

thank you for reading please take care be safe
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think the language used is relative to the industry in which you are coding.
    I do many micro controller projects, so I jump from assembler for the small micro controllers to a derivative of C++ for the larger micro controllers. A derivative because the C++ for micro controllers is closer to assembler than the standard C++ that is used for PCs.

Many are now turning to Python for micro processors such as Beagle Bone and Raspberry Pi.

In my opinion, there is a difference between coding and software writing.

Software writing is usually for control systems, in which there is nothing that can be used as a copy and paste, this is where the creative mind comes in, as you must first understand the process, in order to control it.

Coding is in my opinion a space in which you manipulate data into a form and display it to a client. There may be some formulas or algorithms you code to, but the environment in which the formula or algorithm is given to the coder. The coder does not have to be creative when doing the control as this is given in the formula or algorithm.

There is a place for both types of coding and software.

I think the niche is in the software, as very few people are able to be creative and understand the environment which has to be controlled, as this will require technical knowledge of the subject, along with good background in the sciences.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (11-Feb-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Its a double edged sword. One not only has to understand the IT side of things you also have to understand the business side.

Programming/coding/software writing...is no different to knowing how to use a lathe or any other tool - It is merely a tool. The difficulty lies in the industry knowledge.

We now live in a world where practically anybody can write a program or build an electronic device given the sheer amount of information and tools out there. ...of course 90% of the output is kinda bad but on the whole it doesn't really matter - Arduino is a case in point - I've seen people slap together industrial applications by buying bits and pieces off the net and sticking it in a box. The same goes for Android - there are lots and lots of "slap together" code generators available so a large proportion of the applications are garbage.

There was a time when one would squeeze each and every byte out of a micro controller and use the IO sparingly but given the low cost and availability of off-the-shelf stuff only the most discerning bother these days.

One of the problems with programming in the PC/business environment is the speed at which languages and infrastructure changes. Young people fresh out of university are right at the bleeding edge of technology and they are eager to work their butts off for relatively low wages. Older people (yes I speak for myself) cost more and adapt slower....

If that isn't bad enough the really big hurdle is intimate knowledge of the specific industry - I've seen a couple of businesses go head over heals into industries with hardware / software ...but without a basic understanding of the issues within the industry (you don't know what you don't know)

I think that the starting point to all of this stuff is to ask yourself - about anything that you want to do - IS THERE A BUSINESS CASE

I really want to buy a new CNC mini lathe and mini mill. The question that goes around in my head is this: If I spend R100k on the equipment - how will I make R200k - Not in dream land but in real life - I don't have the answers yet.

The same goes for venturing into programming/hardware/basket weaving or whatever - You have to do serious unbiased research to prove whether there is money in whatever you are looking at - if there is money then you need to figure out how to get to the money with the shortest path.

OK so the question is: Is there a place for the individual developer - For sure - Find a niche and milk the $h!t out of it. The starting point is the business case - If you have a business case then work from there. 90% of Android apps are crap yet lots and lots of people make lots and lots of cash because the end user doesn't really care about the inner workings.

...I kinda ramble...

5. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (11-Feb-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here is my problem in 2021... Firstly we live and breath in South Africa. Things are expensive hard to get and hard to maintain when something goes wrong. Now i have been in the Server industry for most of my life. I know Linux well and Microsoft and I have walked such a long path that i know it inside out. As for Networking? Well i know basic networking as well as compression, encryption and on the fly cashing with all the bells and lights that blink at me. This include brand names and white box solutions. i tend to learn fast by making every mistake in the book first. I also know telecommunication "RBS" systems the raw hardware to the software that drives it all. It is scary but it is only the tip. I mean i did everything contracting, Integrated tech PLCs i was even a butcher at some point in my life. Point i am making is i adapt and is really good at it.

Here is the the thing, a computer, a really good one cost about R10k to R70k... That is a lot BUT you don't need something that big for coding Android or something like that. The cost VS reward in the software industry is really good. Cost is relatively low and reward is a variable and it can be nothing to life changing depending on the market, demand and who the buyer is.

So i am thinking it is a low cost business to start BUT to be clear it can get expensive fast "depending on what it is" So with my experience in IT i feel i have foundation to spin this up. Who knows... Right now i am doing Android Kotlin it is not hard actually but it is not easy. Yes i am also old.

And that is my thing, lately my body is not happy with me, serviced my car and almost died when i tried to use my legs. Now i am taking care of myself. But i am getting older and i am now looking at my end game. i need to get good at something that i can do until the reaper finally snips my string. i don't mind physical work BUT with all the shit jobs i did in my life and all the injuries i have is effecting me. i cannot ignore this so here is me closing a chapter starting a new one lets see how this goes. while my other business is still earning something i better put in some late nights get this spinning this way i can cut down on cost and still earn a living so i hope
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.