Thread: SABS stamp of approval, not worth the ink used to stamp it.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

SABS stamp of approval, not worth the ink used to stamp it.

So i have been experiencing a few issues with PVC products ... inconsistencies with wall thickness of the conduit ...rigid and flexible ... pipe diameter ... inner diameter of couplings and adpators ... defects on the outer wall of products which should be classed as reject ...but we work around it ... understanding that there are no longer SABS standards ... it was system used by people who expected good quality products.

SO why this post ... as I mentioned I have been working around the issues ... ie ...cutting off short pieces until the pipe fits into the coupling or adptor.

2 days ago I head to a wholesaler (Northside electrical) who I would assume buys products which are QC checked to SABS standards (the product purchased has an SABS stamp ... buy a few lengths of 32 mm conduit and head back to site ... take out my 32 mm bending spring and attempt to make a few slight bends in the conduit ... the pipe shatters into pieces ... OK ...maybe it was just a defective piece ... cut it back and attempt again ... pipe shatters into pieces ... big deal ... it actually is a big deal ... nobody was expecting the pipe to shatter ... so nobody was wearing safety glasses (let this be a warning for all you safety offices on site ... bending conduit requires safety glasses)

I returned it to Northside and imformed the salesman about my issue ... no invoice ...no return policy ... so I had to call the office get a copy sent ... then prove that there was an issues with the pipe and actually hadnt driven over it to shatter it into so many pieces .. .went out and got my 32 mm spring and gave it ot the sales guy ... as he attempted to bend it ... it shattered into pieces ( note for sales guy ...inform everyone in the store to wear safety glasses while attempting to bend conduit) ... fortunately they had other brands of conduit (which also had SABS stamped on the pipe) in stock ... bent a piece and headed back to site.

What do we learn from this ... an SABS is not worth the ink used to stamp it on product anymore ... when bending pvc conduit ... make sure everyone around you is wearing safty glasses.

Maybe someone can give us the definition of SABS approval .... and send it to PEARL (pvc conduit supplier)

At the same time inform us about which PVC conduit must be used when installed in concrete slabs.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Something else to note ... leaving PVC conduit out in the sun for days ... weeks or months will also cause the conduit to explode into pieces ... but more important ... wall thickness consistency is just as important.

http://www.tulsiplastics.co.za/condu...-fittings.html
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The SABS is for all intents dead and buried and exist in name only.
    Their testing facilities are outdated and dilapidated and cannot be used for most of the tests required.

Visit their offices and you will notice that the once excellent bastion of quality and upholding of standards have been eroded to just another worn out rubber stamp with no ink.
    At least keep your premises clean, pick up and dust the displays that have fallen over. Straighten the skewed hanging pictures and recycle the old magazines and brochures in your waiting area.

Several industry groups have officially complained and have made recommendations, so far to no avail.
    SABS marks are copied and falsified and I have yet to come across any prosecutions or convictions in this regard.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...