Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NQF: are your qualifications listed??

Thanks

NQF: are your qualifications listed??

A very good day to you gentle people,

The National Qualifications Framework is inter alia a database of the records of tertiary qualifications of all South Africans.

As such, you would expect all your qualifications to be listed. I know I did!

My qualifications that are listed include my LLB obtained in 2016(UNISA) and the fact that I successfully completed MANAGEMENT PRAC TICE IV (at the then TSA now merged with UNISA) in 2002.

This record of learning does not however include the fact that I successfully obtained a National Diploma(Business Management) from Technikon Witwatesrand in 1994!

So in 2014, way back in 2014, I wrote to NQF.

There’s some classic back and forth here!

This is what I stated:

Sent: Tuesday, 28 January 2014 15:57
    To: verifications@saqa.co.za
    Subject: RE: Request for transcript

Hi There,

In 1994 I obtained a National Diploma: Retail Business Management: Technikon Witwatersrand(TWR), why does this not reflect?

Kindly revert,

Regards,

This is what they stated

From: TBaloyi@saqa.co.za [mailto:TBaloyi@saqa.co.za] On Behalf Of verifications@saqa.co.za
    Sent: 28 January 2014 03:49 PM
    To:
    Subject: Re: Request for transcript

Dear xxxxxxx

Thank you for your enquiry.

Attached please find the statement of what was found for you on the National Learners' Records Database (NLRD).

Please note the following:

· The records for Higher Education on the NLRD go up to 2011, so if you have achieved anything further since then, these results will not yet be reflected.

· If you do not see achievements on the statement that you would have expected to find there, please do not send these to SAQA, as records of learning are not accepted from individuals.

The flow of information to the NLRD is as follows: Training providers send data on learner enrolments and achievements to their ETQAs, and in turn, the ETQAs send this data to us for loading into the NLRD.

We currently have the following on the NLRD (and we are aware that there are also some gaps, even in the years that we do have: we are busy filling these gaps):

o South African public university achievements up to 2011;
    o South African technikon achievements from 1999 to 2011;
    o Private higher achievements logged by some private higher institutions up to 2012;
    o Achievements logged by SETAs and ETQAs (except the HPCSA) up to the present.

To verify your matric:

· If the certificate was issued in September 1992 or later, please contact Umalusi on 012 349 1510 or verification@umalusi.org.za . (Their fee varies from case to case.)

· If the certificate was issued before September 1992, it can be verified by the Department of Basic Education on 012 357 3900, or any Provincial Department of Education. (They all currently charge from R20 to R40 for this service.)

For FAIS related credits and queries, please visit the INSETA website on www.inseta.org.za. Click on “learner information” to access results.

Kind Regards

The Verifications Team

National Learners' Records Database
    South African Qualifications Authority
    Tel 012) 431 5010
    Fax012) 431 5051
    verifications@saqa.org.za
    www.saqa.org.za
    Am I reacting disproportionately?

I don't think so. What do you think?

Let's look at this from an objective viewpoint. You my fellow South African brother and sister obtained a qualification in the 1980's or the 1990's.
    An organization comes into existence. Among other functions this organization is responsible for formulating practical learning outcomes for each qualification; they also responsible for listing all South Africans qualifications obtained by an individual on this national database.
    The onus is on the university or educational institution to send an individuals qualifications to the NQF for listing.

Either the university is not doing their job of sending individuals qualifications for listing or the NQF is not listing an individuals qualifications after the portfolio has been sent by an university.

It can't be both.

This is what I gathered from what the NQF stated in their response to me.

The issuing tertiary institution must send the NQF the record for learning.
    Thereafter the NQF must list the individuals name and qualification on the national database.
    According to the NQF's response to me, some qualifications obtained in the 1980’s and 1990’s will not be listed as they busy playing catch up.

So I resolved to write to UJ. I done so because the NQF is informed me that even if I provide them with incontrovertible evidence that I obtained a national diploma in 1994 they will not listed it. According to them to they only list qualifications of individuals which have been sent to them directly from the university/college/educational institute.

I asked UJ to send my National Diploma portfolio from 1992 up to and including 1994 to the NQF.

I received similar rhetoric.

The bottom line is that one of my qualifications is not listed on the national data base.

Please see if yours is listed.

What's the point of having a national database of individuals qualifications if the qualification you obtained is not listed??

How many people are affected?

That would depend on how many qualifications we're issued between 1980 up to and including 1998.

The problem is best understood with an illustration:

Mr A obtained a BCOM(Wits) in 1985. In 1989 Mr A obtains a BCOM honours UCT. In 1994 Mr A obtains a master's degree in business administration from Wits. In 1998 Mr A obtains a doctorate degree from Wits. In 2004 Mr A wants to see in what format his qualifications are listed on the NQF( how the transcript looks). So he sends an email to verificatoons@saqa.co.za.

He remembers to include a certified copy of his identity document.
    The NQF email him his record of learning. He is horrified to see that none of his qualifications are listed! His learning record says something to the effect of ' no qualifications recorded and no qualifications obtained!'

Can you now see the problem clearly?

That brings us to today. If you obtained a qualification in the 1980’s or 1990’s it is probably not listed on the National Learning database of tertiary qualifications!!!!!

Just check.

Send an email to verifications@saqa.co.za, and attach a certified copy of your identity document.

I suppose I’m acting in your best interest with this thread.
    No, scrap that thought, it sounds horribly wrong!

It’s in the best interest of all South Africans that all tertiary qualifications obtained should be listed on the National Learning database of tertiary qualifications.

The benefits are twofold, the way I see it, any employer can easily verify all your qualifications, and you can obtain an official transcript with all your qualifications obtained listed.

It cannot be that after 7 years after the fact of me writing them, they still playing catch-up. It's also not acceptable if the excuse they provide is merely to make each individual that queries this just go away.

They should employ more people if needs be. They should prioritize listing all individuals qualifications from the 1980's and 1990's.

This matter in the best interests of all South Africans.

The first part of your official transcript from NQF states:

National Learners’ Records Database (NLRD)

This document consists of the following statement:

1. The enrolments and achievements of

NLRD Person ID
    National ID

as recorded on the NLRD up to 11 June 2019

This statement displays all of the qualifications (and courses / unit standards towards these) noted on the NLRD as enrolled or achieved by xxxxxxxxxx. If other enrolments or achievements exist for this person, they are not yet known to the NLRD.
    Some enrolments may appear more than once, with different Qualification IDs and sometimes slightly different titles. This is due to mergers between some institutions.

P.S I omitted my personal information

A further bone of contention

The UNISA LLB is a level 8 qualification. This NQF level supposed to be listed next to each module passed and next to the NQF code for the LLB. The Transcript I received indicated that I did indeed obtain a LLB, that it was completed and lists all the 40 modules passed. The Colum for NQF level is blank!

Legislative background

Section 5(1)(a) of the National Qualifications Framework envisages one body that will contain all the qualifications obtained by an individual.[1]
    This objective is juxtaposed with access to tertiary institutions; improving the quality of tertiary education by having measurable learning outcomes and to redress past unfairness in tertiary education.
    These objectives may, additionally, be nuanced by means of, for instance, section 5(2) and section 5(3)(a), (b) and (c).

Multiple choice test

Choose the correct answer

The National Qualifications Framework does not list all South Africans hard earned qualification; and does not state the NQF level of 8 next for the UNISA LLB because:

1. They are highly dedicated, diligent and committed to achieving the objective set out in section 5(1)(a) of the Act
    2. They broke
    3. They lazy
    4. They don’t want to hire new staff to clear the backlog of listing all South Africans qualifications on one database
    5. They failed, alternatively refuse, alternatively neglect to attain the objectives as set out in section 5 of the Act
    6. They don’t intend to clear the backlog whatsoever
    7. They refuse to answer lest they incriminate themselves
    8. They are a textbook example of attaining objectives set out in legislation.
    9. They have too much work and should be given a break

You decide

5. Objectives of NQF

(1) The objectives of the NQF are to-

(a) create a single integrated national framework for learning achievements;
    (b) facilitate access to, and mobility and progression within, education, training and career paths;
    (c) enhance the quality of education and training;
    (d) accelerate the redress of past unfair discrimination in education, training and employment opportunities.

(2) The objectives of the NQF are designed to contribute to the full personal development of each learner and the social and economic development of the nation at large.
    (3) SAQA and the QCs must seek to achieve the objectives of the NQF by-
    (a) developing, fostering and maintaining an integrated and transparent national framework for the recognition of learning achievements;
    (b) ensuring that South African qualifications meet appropriate criteria, determined by the Minister as contemplated in section 8, and are internationally comparable; and
    (c) ensuring that South African qualifications are of an acceptable quality
    6. Framework levels
    (1) The NQF is organised as a series of levels of learning achievement, arranged in ascending order from one to ten.
    (2) Each level on the NQF is described by a statement of learning achievement known as a level descriptor.
    (3) A level descriptor, referred to in subsection (2), provides a broad indication of learning achievements or outcomes that are appropriate to a qualification at that level.
    (4) Level descriptors must be developed and determined, as provided for in section 13(1)(g).
    (5) There is one set of level descriptors for the NQF. [2]

[1] Section 5(1)(a) of the National Qualifications Act 67 of 2008(as amended).

[2] Section 5 and 6 of the National Qualifications Act 67 of 2008(as amended).
    Last edited by Citizen X; 31-Jan-21 at 11:52 AM.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps it's a work in progress...

When did they commence building this centralised database?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Perhaps it's a work in progress...

When did they commence building this centralised database?
    A very good morning to you Dave,

The National Learners' Records Database has been in operation since November 1999.

That's the bewildering thing about this! It's now some 22 years later. I can safely state and confirm for the record that many South Africans academic acquirements are still not listed against their names.

The qualifications that they obtained after 1999 are listed but not the qualifications they obtained before 1999. How challenging can it really be to clear this backlog?

I suggest that they recruit new staff to deal exclusively with this backlog thereby creating a NLRD that all South Africans can be truly proud of.

I think that it would be strategically astute if they use the aforesaid intervention.

Sent from my Hisense U605 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Citizen X; 01-Feb-21 at 04:32 AM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    The qualifications that they obtained after 1999 are listed but not the qualifications they obtained before 1999. How challenging can it really be to clear this backlog?
    Well, for starters they must be entirely dependant on the organisation that awarded the qualification in the first place providing the relevant information.
    And those records may not be in an appropriate, accessible format.
    Or perhaps not accessible at all.

Thanks
    Well, for starters they must be entirely dependant on the organisation that awarded the qualification in the first place providing the relevant information.
    And those records may not be in an appropriate, accessible format.
    Or perhaps not accessible at all.

That was the conclusion I drew in 2014. Upon reaching this conclusion I resolved to contact UJ to request of them to send my National Diploma portfolio to the NQF.

Needless to say, there was some classic back and forth and so on and so forth. Or is it classic song and dance?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zTX5zezzc.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	8119
    Sent: 01 September 2014 10:55 AM
    To: Govender, Lee-Anne
    Subject: : Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)
    Importance: High
    Sensitivity: Confidential

Dear Sir/Madam,
    1. In 1994 I obtained a National Diploma: Retail Business Management[1992-1994];
    2. This is most alarming, as the implication is that should any potential employer conduct a check on myself , this qualification will not reflect!!!
    3. Could you please look into this matter, could you please make available to NLRD my qualification broken up into modules

I trust that you find this to be in order.

Kind regards,
    Sent: 01 September 2014 01:03 PM
    To:
    Cc: Mathe, Rosinah
    Subject: RE: St No 9205326(ID 7401105105087): Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)

Dear Mrs Naidoo

Please note that you need to registered on QVS the website address is www.qvs.co.za to be able to receive the information below.

Kind regards,
    Lavern Van Lodewyk
    Faculty of Management
    Tel 011 5593874
    Sent: 01 September 2014 02:56 PM
    To: 'Van Lodewyk, Lavern'
    Cc: 'Mathe, Rosinah'
    Subject:Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)

Dear gentle people,

1. I have indeed registered on the mentioned site earlier today;
    2. My concern is not the site you refer me to but rather the National Learners Records Data Base;
    3. Now that I have registered on the site you make mention to, could you please advise as to why my qualification does not appear on the NLRD?
    Kindly revert and please advise accordingly.

Kind regards,
    xxxxxx
    Sent: 04 September 2014 02:57 PM
    To: 'Van Lodewyk, Lavern'
    Subject: FW: St No 9205326(ID 7401105105087): Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I hereby request that you send my qualification portfolio to SAQA(NLRD), so that it may appear on the National Learners Database. It is my understanding that this is lawfully required of all educational institutions.
    p.s SAQA NLRD is for free whereas QVS is not for free!
    Kind regards,
    Sent: 08 September 2014 11:32 AM
    To: ; Van Lodewyk, Lavern
    Cc: Govender, Lee-Anne
    Subject: : Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)

Dear Lavern
    Please note that this is the requests that the Faculty need to handle.
    The alumni just the qualification to be listed in the SAQA database.
    Warm Regards
    Rosinah
    Sent: 05 September 2014 12:59 PM
    To: Van Lodewyk, Lavern; Mathe, Rosinah

Dear gentle people,
    1. I am acutely aware that you read my mail but don’t respond to it[not entirely certain why?];
    2. My request is reasonable and lawful;
    3. I hereby request that you send my qualification portfolio to SAQA(NLRD), so that it may appear on the National Learners Database. It is my understanding that this is lawfully required of all educational institutions.
    Regards,

xxxxx
    Sent: 08 September 2014 11:56 AM
    To: Mathe, Rosinah; Van Lodewyk, Lavern
    Cc: Govender, Lee-Anne
    Subject: RE: St No 9205326(ID 7401105105087): Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)

Dear Gentle people,

I refer to the above matter and more specifically the electronic mail of even date, the contents of which have been duly noted
    1. This is indeed a simple, reasonable and lawful request;
    2. Kindly note that there is also no outstanding monies due to UJ by myself.
    3. All educational institutions are lawfully required by SAQA(NQF) to send a students qualification portfolio to NLRD;
    4. I also think that it’s unreasonable to expect an alumni to pay QVS for anything really as NLRD is for free and there for whomsoever wishes to request the same.
    I therefore reiterate: I hereby request that you send my qualification portfolio to SAQA(NLRD), so that it may appear on the National Learners Database. It is my understanding that this is lawfully required of all educational institutions.
    Kind regards,

Sent: Wednesday, 10 September 2014 17:25
    To: >
    Cc: Van Lodewyk, Lavern <lavernvl@uj.ac.za>; Spowart, Jane <jspowart@uj.ac.za>
    Subject: Query: Qualification not available on National Learners Database(NLRD)(see attached)

Dear Mr
    UJ has been in contact with SAQA regarding your request and SAQA advised that they have communicated to you on two occasions in January and August 2014 indicating that they are in the process of filling the gaps from years prior to 1999. This is however a long process. Since your qualification was completed prior to 1999 it does not appear on the database yet. SAQA is unable to provide a date when this information will appear on the NLRD.
    The following information is on the NLRD:
    o South African public university achievements up to 2011;
    o South African technikon achievements from 1999 to 2011; [my bold italics]
    o Private higher achievements logged by some private higher institutions up to 2012;
    o Achievements logged by SETAs and ETQAs (except the HPCSA) up to the present.

Regards

Lee-Anne

www.uj.ac.za/management

Ms Lee-Anne Govender
    Head of Faculty Administration
    Faculty of Management
    Tel +27 11 559 4135
    Fax +27 11 559 4123

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	business-commerce-pass_the_buck-passing_the_buck-pause-pausing-stop-rde3941_low.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	8120

Song and dance photo[1]
    Passing the buck cartoon 2

P.S I am the most average South African citizen!!!! As such my rights to privacy stand. This post is in the public interest as it affects many South African. Emails from the foregoing are from individuals that serve the public.

"Without prejudice and all rights reserved"

[1 http://clipart-library.com/clipart/zTX5zezzc.htm (date of use 2 February 2021).
    2 https://www.cartoonstock.com/cartoon...catref=rde3941 (date of use 2 February 2021).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0e3d7986b6fe45767ec1f6a2aa0000d6--silhouette-studio-dancers.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	8118  
    Last edited by Citizen X; 02-Feb-21 at 10:35 AM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    This is a catch 20 situation. You damned if you do and you damned if you don't. Universities are reluctant to send graduates portfolio to NQF. And, NQF are unwilling to accept qualifications directly from graduates.

I emphasize that this precarious situation applies to graduates who obtained qualifications before 1998.

Sent from my Hisense U40 using Tapatalk
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    Universities are reluctant to send graduates portfolio to NQF.
    That's a loaded statement. We should break down why there might be reluctance to ensure we understand the actual hurdle.

Thanks
    That's a loaded statement. We should break down why there might be reluctance to ensure we understand the actual hurdle.

I think the main issue in dispute is how to approach updating the database with learners qualifications before 1999. Further to this I think that the NQF realizes that both financial, and human resources will have to be utilized. I think that 'playing catch-up,' is the ultimate challenge.
    I suggest that the NQF and all Vice chancellors place this matter on their agenda as a matter of fairness to learners who obtained qualifications before 1999 which don't reflect.

For this to work, however, their will have to be a lot of public interest and request for individual qualifications to be placed on this database.

These are my thoughts for whatever they are worth
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My thought:

It's going to take resources which require a budget to get the history processed. Find a way to pay for it (that doesn't come out of today's student fees) and it stands a far better chance of getting done.

Thanks
    My thought:

It's going to take resources which require a budget to get the history processed. Find a way to pay for it (that doesn't come out of today's student fees) and it stands a far better chance of getting done.
    Very good morning to you Dave,

Your final thought on matters are always lucid and cogent.

I sincerely hope that NQF can indeed find a cost effective way, with a return date, to resolve this that won't prejudice students and alumni.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast