Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the goverment plans to do

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    I reckon they don't want to penalise low income households.
    Implementation challenges and popularity considerations are other possiblities.

Any others?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A little feedback on the results so far:

45% of respondents from Gauteng
    90% of respondents are business owners or managers (No suprise given where I've punted this survey so far)
    73% of respondents are in a "work from home" business

Highlight numbers for electrical consumption at home:
    18% use less than 500kWh per month
    27% use 501-750kWh per month

Highlight numbers for electrical consumption at work (where this is at a seperate premises from home):
    0% uses less than 500kWh per month
    33% uses 501-750kWh per month

I think it just goes to show that "relief" (if that is the goal of having a threshold in the first place) could be extended to small business and many more smaller households by shifting the threshold to 750kWh.

I would prefer a much bigger sample though before I'd consider attempting raising the point in any serious way. For those who have not taken the survey yet, please think about doing it soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think it just goes to show that "relief" (if that is the goal of having a threshold in the first place) could be extended to small business and many more smaller households by shifting the threshold to 750kWh.
    Maybe it shouldn't be seen that way? If you view it the other way around, as an "incentive" then a lower threshold achieves more in terms of providing the country more leeway to grow.

Just a thought - still deciding how I feel about this.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

I agree with you here, but I want to ask this simple question. If our shortage is for example 15%, Why not simply require that everyone use 15% less electricity? Everyone have a different setup. Mine is fluctuating according to my business growth so I will have serious problems anyway if my business grow, but 750kWh seems to be waaaaaaaayyyyyy below my current usage. I have been cracking my head and cannot think of ways to get it below 2500, I m seriously worried about the decision they will make at the end of the day. Besides each residential house is unique in its size, layout and occupancy. By simply stating that all houses must have x usage is not practical nor possible imo.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I basically like Sefton's idea of starting from zero. But if there is going to be a differentiation point - well let's try to find one for the right reasons.

If you take a look at the difference between the first draft and what we got in the end on BEE - a sound argument can make a difference. Especially when it's competing against the first thumb suck.

Thanks
    I agree. The time based tariff should start from zero. It incentivises all users to change their usage habits and to try to shift their usage where they can. This is good for business in that it will help to ensure that they have a steady supply of energy.

Obviously on the other side it is bad for business as their base costs go up, but there is an incentive to try to move your load around (where possible).

I think the off peak tariff should be slightly lower than the current tariff. This means that it may even be possible to save money in some cases.

This does not have to do with the time based tariffs, but I wonder if there is any merit in having different billing packages that users could choose from? e.g. say there were two billing packages, one had a lower rate per unit, but you are billed on a sliding scale (like water is billed), while the other has a higher rate per unit, but did not scale with consumption. Users could choose a package suitable for their usage pattern.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    This does not have to do with the time based tariffs, but I wonder if there is any merit in having different billing packages that users could choose from?
    Heck, Duncan. I have a hard enough time with all the cellphone packages out there. Now you want to torture me with choices on electricity billing options

Thanks
    The way it's running now, this is not going to happen soon. I'm talking about time biased billing. How will Eskom know what KWh you've used at what hour of the day?

The current meters only show how much has been used in total since installation - thus reading at the end of the month & deducting the previous month's reading gives the amount of kWh used during the month. This is the best scenario which can happen. Usually Eskom just bills for 3 to 6 months on an average use as experienced previously for that user. Then an update reading is made and the next billing then adjusts for the difference. We've all seen those "strange" bills happen - those that's either too high or too low according to what we usually get.

In order to get time-biased billing working "right now", these readings need to be taken at least twice a day ... yeah sure that's going to happen.

A solution I can think of would be to have 2 meters installed with a timer switching between the 2 at pre-set times (or maybe "remotely"). Extra capital outlay for probably the user. Or most probably a new type of meter needs to be installed. Although both these solutions won't happen soon - similar problem as per the remote shut-off of geysers and HVAC's .... HOW AND WHEN???

Thanks
    I heard over the news this morning that Harmony mines are planning to build their own power station for 5 of their mines. I wouldn't be surprised if others follow soon.
    Last edited by Chatmaster; 18-Feb-08 at 08:47 AM.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think they're planning to replace the meters. Time sensitive metering is simply not possible without the right equipment.

In terms of roll-out, I expect the most effective way to do it is to start with the bigger clients. To this extent setting targets for the installation of new meters prioritised by consumption makes sense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast