Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post 02 2021 (Why solar will never work in South Africa)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The buzz word is super capacitors are they gonna be the next super power storage or am I already living in the dark ages?

Apparenty the batteries in the cellphone towers around SA are being replaced with super capacitors.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-Jan-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When you start scratching around for prices ... you will understand why super caps are not easy to find ... price could have something to do with it.

Sirius super cap kilowatt labs 3.55 kwh - 48 VDC @ R44000.00

Pylontech Li-ion battery 3.55 kwh -48 VDC @ R18000.00 This seems to be the most populer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6gR...SmartEnergyLab
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

4. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-Jan-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When you start reading the specs ... it much like people were doing with lead acid and lithium ... they cost a lot more but offer way better specs.

• Cycle life of 1 million cycles gives a superior life expectancy
    • Rapid charge translates into big savings on solar panels.
    • Depth-of-Discharge of 100% and round trip efficiency of 99%
    • Unsurpassed temperature tolerance from -25C to 85C.
    • 10-year manufacturer warranty
    • 45 Year design life

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (25-Jan-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This made me think back to my my first Iphone purchase ... I paid R12000.00 for an iphone 5 back in the old days ... paid a third of that price for my iphone se and now looking at the new iphone se ... back up to R12000 again ... will wait a year or 2 then buy one for a third of the price again.

I am sure these battery prices will drop to an affordable price ... remember when LED TV's came out ... only rich people could afford the R30k plus price tag back then.

I am sure we are gonna see the same thing with batteries.

You need to be smart with your infrastructure (trunking ...piping etc) ... your battery cabinet and positioning of your inverter.

I would build it in such a way that parts can be easily removed and replaced.
    Last edited by ians; 24-Jan-21 at 03:55 PM.

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (25-Jan-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Whatever happened to the super battery Eon Musk developed and was going to sell to every household?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi again, for me it is about functioning. Supper capacitors isn't new, Fact is since the the second world war but was officially re-purposed in 1982 round about. But it has been around since the idea of high energy weapons. More to the point China and Germany did a lot to push this tech forward but sadly a lot got lots.

Case and point.

Will it work? Yes.
    Is it expensive "for now yes"
    Is it better then batteries "No discharge is still a problem however it is getting really good"

My source: BU-209: How does a Supercapacitor Work?

That said i am sure this tech will revolutionize power storage.

But right now for me this does not mean a whole lot.

Currently i have access to:
    Generators
    Solar inverter and batteries.
    Gas.

So this is what i have to work with.

Why i go with gel batteries? no maintenance cost 200amps per battery is good. Are they expensive? YES are they long lasting? YES. Can they get damaged? YES

But the same is true for a Lithium battery. Yes at round about R7k to R14k they are cost effective. Are they long lasting? YES. Can they get damaged? YES. So why don't i go for it?

As i understand it, they need "special chargers" and my current system is simply not configured to handle them. That means on top of the cost of the battery i need to upgrade my system.

However when my business goes in gear again later this year. I am planning on a massive solar upgrade. Along side it i want to install a 25KVA Diesel generator. Along side that I want to upgrade my home's security.

We will see what 2021 holds. Best of luck for all of us this year.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think R&D made promises its behind can't cash at the moment. It works I saw the introduction a while back BUT the manufacturing process isn't easy. So i will give it another year maybe two before we will walk into our local solar store and they will try to sell us these batteries at a mark-up at first until circulation is stable then prices will drop a tiny bit. But for now i am sticking with gel batteries. I got to trust them and like how they work. It is not a good tech but it is a functional solution for my use case and that to me is the important bit.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Whatever happened to the super battery Eon Musk developed and was going to sell to every household?
    I think R&D made promises its behind can't cash at the moment. It works I saw the introduction a while back BUT the manufacturing process isn't easy. So i will give it another year maybe two before we will walk into our local solar store and they will try to sell us these batteries at a mark-up at first until circulation is stable then prices will drop a tiny bit. But for now i am sticking with gel batteries. I got to trust them and like how they work. It is not a good tech but it is a functional solution for my use case and that to me is the important bit.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Teco,

Have a look at this new LEAD CARBON Battery
    I believe they do charge faster, and have more discharge cycles.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

14. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (25-Jan-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Teco - with a very limited knowledge of lithium batteires and charging ... it seems that most inverters have the abiltiy to adjust the charge profile to suit the type of battery.

16. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (26-Jan-21)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast