Thread: Post 01 2021 (Import of poorly made products)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Post 01 2021 (Import of poorly made products)

Hi everyone,

Figured i start 2021 with a little post about consumer electronics and why i am so angry with what i use to consider quality products.

As we all know by now, CPU's is expensive, computing is expensive, hell even a keyboard can now fetch anything between R1k to R2.5k and yea it is a choice. But is it?

So today's topic is not about price point, its about quality brands selling inferior products.

Like most of you I tend to spend my money on things i need and isn't shy when they demand a high price. That said if i pay a lot of money for a product i expect it to last a while. Nothing magical just like 2 years i feel is a reasonable expectation for most products that have none replaceable batteries in them.

My phone is a 2017 model and it is lasted me well. Problem is, software support on it is no longer available "i think from this year" yet to confirm that BUT for the most part i have to "upgrade it" with other solutions soon. The risks of an outdated phone is mostly security specially on the wifi and blue-tooth side of things but other then that i do not have any real concerns.

But Lets get really into the nuts and bolts of this BS products that is sold at what i would consider "reputable" stores.

I am not going to name or shame products because DOA, and Faulty products are a reality and if i got one of a bad batch then it shouldn't reflect on the brand.

But here i am looking a set of head phones that cost me R2k and they SUCK... They SUCK badly...

Now my first complaint will be sound artifacts "noises" while on low volume. Now the company is Reputable or so i thought. They are not. So i figured maybe it is just the tech inside it and decided to fork out another R1k on a headset from a different brand and the quality difference was night and day. Not only did the R1k headphones out preform the R2k headset it had more functionality, no audible artifacts in both blue-tooth and cable applications and incredible clarity. I was so angry because for the price of the previous one.

Then it ringed a bell in my head. Why are the R2k one's so bad. I mean both come from the same place. But the R1k version had metal construction, pure sound "as far as i can tell" and higher quality feel to it.

So i did some digging. Turns out that the R2k head phones is being sold For less then R400 ZAR in first world countries. They are considered poor quality "disposable electronics".

So yea that was a nice rounded kick in the drawing. But what about the R1K headset? Well turns out they are being sold for R1000 ZAR in the first world. Meaning what we pay here is what they are paying on that side "excluding promotions and all that stuff" and more to the point the reviews was like i said GOOD. Not the the best but GOOD.

So it turns out if a brand's cheapest offering is "bad" then it is safe to assume that all offerings of this brand will be "bad" because like it or not they go trough the same quality control or so it would seem.

Thus before you go buy your next "whatever" have a look at what first world consumers have to say about it. Check the price in Dollar convert it to rand and see if the number is significant and by how much.

Because it turns out we do have quality products BUT poorly made products ARE BEING SOLD as QUALITY products just for the sake of branding and not actual device performance.

So the summery is don't trust the brand, specially bigger brand's cheaper product line.

Anyhow i hope you got something out of this and please leave your findings below i would love to read them.

Be safe this 2021 and take care of each other.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like the problem in this case is the line of supply more than the brand itself. Someone made a decision to charge way more for a budget product...

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (28-Jan-21)