Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I used to buy the South African Car magazine every month for many years. I gave up about 4 months ago and I now refuse to buy the South African CAR magazine. The language is absolutely atrocious and the copy editing is also horrendous. I wrote to them about it a while back but they just ignored my message.
    A very good morning to you Adrian,
    This is definitely a conversation to be had. Would you mind posting those errors here? The letter you sent to them will also speak volumes!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I agree with my friend CX. Books are not being edited properly. and Adrian, I see that even Time magazine makes the same type of mistakes. Journalism is just not what it used to be. I have now cancelled my subscription to Time as even their standards have dropped. Not prepared to waste my money on the crap they're presenting.
    Watch the news on TV and see the errors in the news tape that runs at the bottom.

However, when sending emails and just basic stuff, using a spell checker can save you some embarrassment. (edited by spellchecker)
    A very good morning to you Blurock,

I used to read Time Magazine but this was many years ago. I know that it's a task to try and find the mistakes, especially if you didn't make a note of it when discovered, but listing those errors here will speak volumes.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Our own South African books

I'm somewhat ashamed in so far as the only South African books that I read are non fiction. In 2018 I read Mandy Wiener's "Killing Kebble," and Sean Newman, Peter Piegl and Karyn Maughans' "Lolly Jackson." Fairly recently I read Bruce Witfield's "The upside of down." Besides being excellent reads, I found no spelling mistakes, typographical errors and grammatical errors at all!

It seems our South African editor's have the right stuff
    Last edited by Citizen X; 12-Jan-21 at 03:02 PM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    In life you need to focus on what you are good at and leave the other stuff for people who know better ... we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Its a pity ... with all the smart technology out there ...not even a computer can get it right ... throw in a bit predictive text and boy you could be in for some interesting reading
    A very good morning to you Ian,

You exactly right on both points!
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    Our own South African books

I'm somewhat ashamed in so far as the only South African books that I read are non fiction. In 2018 I read Mandy Wiener's "Killing Kebble," Sean Newman, Peter Piegl and Karyn Maughans' "Lolly Jackson." Fairly recently I read Bruce Witfield's "The upside of down." Besides being excellent reads, I found no spelling mistakes, typographical errors and grammatical errors at all!

It seems our South African editor's have the right stuff
    Maybe the editors are still old school.
    I see you like Jack Reacher. A favourite of mine also. Have you read any of Deon Meyer's books? I'm sure you will enjoy him.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    I see you like Jack Reacher. A favourite of mine also. Have you read any of Deon Meyer's books? I'm sure you will enjoy him.
    I'm currently reading Lee Child's collection of Jack Reacher short stories entitled "No Middle Man." It gives great insight into Jack Reacher's childhood such as growing up on various military bases around the world. It actually enables the reader to understand how Jack Reacher the action adventure hero became who he is in the rest of Lee Child's books.

No, I have read any books by Deon Meyer. Tell you what, I'll get one within the next 30 days and revert with a book review.

I done a considerable amount of reading from June 2017 to date. I literally read all the novels of Wilbur Smith, Frederick Forsyth, Tom Clancy, Lee Child(with the exception of the book I am now reading), and Ian Flemming.
    All Ian Flemming novels are now available as open source online in PDF format
    This is the link:
    https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20170725

I’ve attached a PDF of Dr NO from this link, so that you can see that it works.

Off the cuff, my top twelve from these authors are:

1. Lee Child: Personal
    2. Lee Child: Worth Dying For
    3. Lee Child: Never go back
    4. Frederick Forsyth: The Day of the Jackal
    5. Frederick Forsyth: The Kill List
    6. Federick Forsyth: The Afgan
    7. Tom Clancy: Without Remorse
    8. Wilbur Smith: Those in peril
    9. Wilbur Smith: Vicious Smith
    10. Wilbur Smith: Predator
    11. Robert Ludlum: The Bancroft Strategy
    12. Robert Ludlum: The Scorpio Illusion
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Citizen X; 12-Jan-21 at 03:05 PM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We seem to like the same thrillers. I used to read Ian Flemming's James Bond at school and saw all the movies. Ludlum, Smith and jack Reacher. I had to laugh when I saw the little man Tom Cruise cast as Jack Reacher in the movie!

You may then enjoy The Tattooist of Auswich by Heather Morris and the follow up, Cilka's Journey. Based on a true story.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    A very good morning to you Adrian,
    This is definitely a conversation to be had. Would you mind posting those errors here? The letter you sent to them will also speak volumes!
    I threw the magazines away. This is THE WORST writer on their team.

https://www.carmag.co.za/author/marius-boonzaier/

He tries to be clever with extreme flowery language and over use of adjectives and technical jargon that is not only meaningless but often used out of context. He also over uses worn out clichés such as calling a car seat a "perch". Another one of his favorites is to say that something is "sited" - like the steering wheel is sited ahead of the driver or the the badge is sited on the bonnet. Its not so bad online but his "Insight" segment in the magazine is absolutely unreadable because these issues show up multiple times in one magazine. He loves the following words/terms : "perch", "sited", "replete", "fore and aft"

This is a case in point: "Measuring 20 inches all-round, the “diamond-polished” wheels are wrapped in 265/30 and 285/30 size rubber fore and aft, respectively."
    - No $h1t Sherlock - Wheels are round - it goes without saying - the rest of the sentence is simply painful.

Another one: "Solid 18-carat gold wing badges can be found fore and aft."
    And another: "Adding aural drama to the package is an in-house developed stainless steel exhaust system, replete with integrated flap control and a sound management system."

There are other authors that are terrible too. It looks as if they sometimes get foreign content which is not edited properly. (I don't think that they employ a copy editor that actually speaks English or knows anything about cars)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I grew up with newspapers. Would grab a newspaper straight from school and read it end to end. I have a curious mind and I think this helped me through school.
    I hardly did any homework in high school and relied mostly on general knowledge.
    Sadly, the standard of journalism and reporting has deteriorated to such an extent that I stopped buying newspapers ages ago.

I still prick up the occasional paper in a waiting room or to pass the time on a plane, but won't waste money on it again. Standards have dropped so much.
    How often to you see the sports pages reporting on a winning player or team, but they do not mention what sport they played.
    Sensation feeds the masses and stories are often manipulated to sell more copies.

Thanks
    A very good morning to you Blurock,

Trusting that you are well, and that life is treating you kindly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	8087
    I obtained two Deon Meyers books: Thirteen Hours and Fever.

I have my reading cut out for me for the next 4 months. I’m currently reading both Mississippi Blood by Gregory Iles and I’m near completion of lee Child’s No Middle Name. I also have Felix Francis’ Refusal.

Name:	M.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	8088

I’ve also made a quality decision to reread Mikhail Gorbachev’s Perestroika.

Name:	p.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	8089
    Somewhere in between I’ll try Deon’s Meyer’s two books
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast