Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I watch a lot of talks, tutorials and documentaries on YouTube. There are two things that drive me totally insane:

1. Music - I can't stand watching a documentary or tutorial with background music - Imagine going to varsity and each and every lecturer plays their chosen silly background music all the time - I would go insane the 1st day.
    2. The overuse of the words "however" and "moreover" - one would think that people would be able to broaden their vocabulary to include additional filler words.

YouTube allows shadow-banning so any old rubbish looks good from the outside because negative comments are shadow-banned.

I know that this thread is not about YouTube but the same applies to publishing - negative comments are shadow-banned so not only is poor writing commended inappropriately but also poor thinking!

A case in point is Reddit - Shadow-banning and voting might be considered to be "rule by democracy" but the fact that the loudest mouths band together and drown out views that they don't like doesn't make their views correct.

We live in a world of mediocrity and participation medals. No more editors, just fools publishing whatever rubbish comes to mind.

Anyway, my mind wonders into tangents....

2. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (13-Jan-21), Citizen X (13-Jan-21)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I I would go insane the 1st day.
    A very good afternoon to you Adrian,

I have imagined that. It would drive me insane!

The following is completely off topic, but it gives me an opportunity to clarify something that I think many people are actually completely unaware of!

Insanity is not a medical term, it was never a medical term, and will never be a medical term. Insanity is a legal concept. Since the High Court regulates all matters pertaining to the law of persons. It's strictly and only the High Court that can certify a person as being insane in terms of sections 77,78 and 79 of the Criminal Procedure Act 51 of 1977(as amended).

The implication is that unless the High Court has certified you as being insane, you definitely not insane

So, if anyone in any social media says "You insane," that is sufficient grounds for you to sue them for defamation of character. You could make a good R250 000 in damages just by relying upon what I said about insanity above.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
    A very good afternoon to you Adrian,

I have imagined that. It would drive me insane!

The following is completely off topic, but it gives me an opportunity to clarify something that I think many people are actually completely unaware of!

Insanity is not a medical term, it was never a medical term, and will never be a medical term. Insanity is a legal concept. Since the High Court regulates all matters pertaining to the law of persons. It's strictly and only the High Court that can certify a person as being insane in terms of sections 77,78 and 79 of the Criminal Procedure Act 51 of 1977(as amended).

The implication is that unless the High Court has certified you as being insane, you definitely not insane

So, if anyone in any social media says "You insane," that is sufficient grounds for you to sue them for defamation of character. You could make a good R250 000 in damages just by relying upon what I said about insanity above.
    This is really interesting. My daughter just completed a degree in English and Psychology and I bet she doesn't know this fact. I will pass it on!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    This is really interesting. My daughter just completed a degree in English and Psychology and I bet she doesn't know this fact. I will pass it on!
    The same daughter that is into ice skating?
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The same daughter that is into ice skating?
    I have 2 daughters: Aged 20 and 22. They were both provincial figure skaters and the younger one represented South Africa in Scotland. They both stopped skating when they started studying. My eldest just finished the degree and she is now doing honors. She is completely crazy about languages so she did a TEFL course and she is busy doing Korean and Japanese courses. She plans to leave South Africa once she's completed honors. She might go to the UK for a while to stay with her mother, Australia to stay with my sister or Korea to meet the man of her dreams The younger one is three quarters of the way through a diploma in Equestrian Studies - She is completely horse mad. She has to do practical this year. She landed a really great job as a full time riding coach. She plans study equestrian physio starting next year. My wife has been in the UK caring for the elderly for the past three years - Good money but hard work - of course the Covid-19 thing messed all her travel plans up - she hasn't been able to get home for the past 12 months.

And you guys - how's the family?

Thanks
    My family and I are well Adrian. Many thanks indeed for asking.

There is a great demand world wide for teaching English as a foreign language. The requirements are: You must have a 4 year degree(in any disciple), you must be from a native English speaking country, you must be able to obtain a police clearance certificate that is not older than 6 months(which shows that you were not convicted of any offence), and you must be familiar with the 8 parts of speech.

I'm very impressed with your family. I do recall that quite some time ago you posted photos of your daughter ice skating at a competition.

Sent from my Hisense U605 using Tapatalk
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My family and I are well Adrian. Many thanks indeed for asking.

There is a great demand world wide for teaching English as a foreign language. The requirements are: You must have a 4 year degree(in any disciple), you must be from a native English speaking country, you must be able to obtain a police clearance certificate that is not older than 6 months(which shows that you were not convicted of any offence), and you must be familiar with the 8 parts of speech.

I'm very impressed with your family. I do recall that quite some time ago you posted photos of your daughter ice skating at a competition.

Sent from my Hisense U605 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. She doesn't like teaching (although she did a TEFL course) but she does want to work in Korea or Japan. She's been attending the Korean school in Cape Town for a year now and she's held in high regard not only for her diligence but also for her sincere interest and respect for the culture. I told her to go find young Mr Samsung and translate manuals with him

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When I read this ... it didnt sound right ... "You insane" ... should in not be "you are insane" ...or "you're insane" ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (28-Jan-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The best reads may be Googlespeak gobidygook when you send a message not in American (American is not English) but in another language. What comes out in predictive text is sometimes hilarious. Always check your message before pressing the send button!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't checked all of them, but I confess I was troubled some that the first "correction" had actually got it wrong

1. Wilbur Smith: Predator: Orion Mintaka(UK) Ltd 2016

First published in Great Britain: Harper Collins publishers:2016
    Page 84
    Sentence 13
    It reads as follows: “ He wanted people to know that however slick he might look now, he’d started out as a blue-collar kid, working his way up from nothing, by ability, determination and damned hard work.”

It should read: “ He wanted people to know that however slick he might look now, he’d started out as a blue-collar kid, working his way up from nothing, but ability, determination and damned hard work.”
    If you are going to change "by" to "but", you will need to remove the preceding comma.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast