Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coc for new electrical installation

Thanks

Coc for new electrical installation

Hi.I have a question? I completed a new house installation and i refused to give a coc due to the final payment not been paid. No problems with quality etc. Just a problem owner.
    While i was a away they called in a local electrical contractor and he submitted a coc, is this allowed and what are my responsibilities regarding this property? Regsrds

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings

With regards to the COC being issue for a new installation this electrician is very brave as he was not involved in the work from the start although they are happy to sign off that everything is compliant ( cables in walls and so forth)

As for your responsibility, nil.

The person who signed of the COC takes this responsibility.

The outstanding payment is unfortunate.

Kind Regards
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another electrical contractor can only issue a regulation 9.2.b certificate (for an existing installation). A new house installation requires a 9.2.a certificate and a certificate of occupation should not be given without it.

I probably should also point out that DoL does not approve of the withholding of the CoC due to non-payment. They see payment as a separate issue to compliance. If the client complains to the DoL and your only ground for withholding the certificate is non-payment, it is quite possible you will be instructed to issue the CoC, or DoL will give permission for another electrician to issue a 9.2.a certificate.

If the other electrician issued a 9.2.a certificate, lay a complaint with DoL.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Gene (06-Aug-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Another electrical contractor can only issue a regulation 9.2.b certificate (for an existing installation). A new house installation requires a 9.2.a certificate and a certificate of occupation should not be given without it.

I probably should also point out that DoL does not approve of the withholding of the CoC due to non-payment. They see payment as a separate issue to compliance. If the client complains to the DoL and your only ground for withholding the certificate is non-payment, it is quite possible you will be instructed to issue the CoC, or DoL will give permission for another electrician to issue a 9.2.a certificate.

If the other electrician issued a 9.2.a certificate, lay a complaint with DoL.
    Hi Dave A but in future how does one protect yourself in such a situation?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Setup a better payment method.

I thought joining the ECA many years ago would assist collecting money ... never got one payment using the ECA ... lots of paper work though ... lawyers were just too expensive for claims under R100k ... I joined a few motor bike clubs ... debt collecting wasnt a problem ... until someone got shot.

In this day and age ... you need to go electronic and each team must have a device so that the customer can pay before leaving site ... the old days of invoicing and waiting for money is as outdated as fax machines and cheques.

The reality ... times are changing ... vehciles should have tracking devices ... internal cctv with voice recording ... a dahscam ... a tablet with service sheets and an electronic payment method.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Lindley

Bottom line. Your contract must be structured in such a way that the final payment is a miniscual amount. Make it 5% like I do.

That way, by the time you've completed the project, you have money in the bank.
    If the prospective client doesn't agree with YOUR contract to begin with, then walk away and move onto the next one.

I don't know how much moola is involved with your case, but don't dwell on it too long.
    Rather just write it in your little black book and move on.

What you have experienced has happened to most of us. Learn from it and make sure that should something similar happen to you in the future, you can walk away knowing that you still made money on the job. ( that's what it's all about, isn't it ? )

From an old toppie. Use it, don't use it.

Peace out ... Derek

8. Thank given for this post:

Andrew_van_Zyl (07-Aug-23), Lindley (12-Jan-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    By the way ... if you record a meeting ... make sure you get all the customers details recorded before you start the recording ... not that it helps with payments ... I find the F%^&ers who dont pay are generally the same ones who tend not to pay in general.

What I do with new customers ... ask around at the wholesalers ... they get stung just as badly as we do ... and quick to tell you it the customer is a bad idea ... so dont forget to spread the word.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Lindley (12-Jan-21)

Thanks
    Derlyn

Tips and guidance taken,so bad for contractors to go thru such a problem..Cruel world we live in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I find the F%^&ers who dont pay are generally the same ones who tend not to pay in general.
    This be true.

As many have indicated above, you need to have systems in place that reduce the risk of being undone by bad payers. Learn from each experience and tweak your system. And then stick to the rules of your system.

Thanks
    Hi Gents

I agree and feel for your situation of non payments.

Now not being an electrician myself, but having had work done I am asking for your advice.

The electrician that did the work at my house refuses to issue a COC for the following reason that he wants me to pay him for work he did not do and I refuse to pay for work that was not done.

I paid him him for the work done including the cost of the COC that was supposed to be issued.

Am I wrong to withhold monies for the work that he did not do?
    And what is my recourse?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast