Thread: Voice recorded telephone calls

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Voice recorded telephone calls

You get a call from someone ... who ask you for a list of personal deatails ... you refuse to acknowledge any of the questions as any right minded person would do ...who would be that stupid to give your ID number date of birth and physical address to some stranger who tells you they from the bank for example ... apparently there are people who do

They then tell you the call is being recorded ... Is it legal to phone someone and tell them the call is being recorded without offering a reference number and a copy of the recorded call ?

I have noticed it has become common practice with certain comapanies ... informing you that it is for training and to improve the customer experience ... really do people fall for this crap ?

I got a call on Saturday from a person who claims to be from a collection agency ... who indicates that he has sent numerous emails and SMS's ... firstly the spelling on the SMS and email is shocking so both were dumped in spam and deleted ... and anyone who reads the junk I write will knows how bad my spelling is ... but here we are talking about a company representing Standard bank.

He indicated that Standard bank have handed my bond account over for collection ... because I refuse to pay my bond until they respond with the deatails of the tracing agent they used to track down my wifes banking details (apprently illegally) and force a debit order without her permission ... to make it even worse they apparently using the fact that she works for my bussiness and therefore can somehow force adebit order ... after seeking legal advice ... was told it is totally illegal what Standard bank (or tracing agent used by Standard bank) did ... they then continued to debit her account for the follow months ... thank goodness she is with FNB ... they just blocked the debit orders ... by the way my wife doesnt work for me and never has.

This whole things sounds a bit suspicious.

What legal rights do you have when someone calls and tells you the call is being recorded ... or you call someone and they indicate the call is being recorded ?
    Last edited by ians; 23-Dec-20 at 05:39 AM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If you cant even spell South Africa right ... I just took it with a pinch of salt and moved on:

"THE STANDARD BANK OF SOUHT AFIRCA LIMITED: HOME LOAN ACCOUNT

Kind regards

collections208@imbuyiso.co.za
    Consultant
    From Imbuyiso Consulting & Collections
    Tel Nr: (012) 762 0300.
    Fax Nr: 012 460 2011"

The question now ... is this same people who traced and forced the debit order?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I always chat a bit and then make out as if I'm have a massive car accident (even if I am sitting at my desk - YouTube has wonderful crash sounds) . I tell them that I crashed the car and its their fault because the distracted me. I then demand their name, ID number, work and home telephone numbers, work and home address because I want to give it to the insurance company so that the insurance company can sue them. If they carry on talking I make as if I am handing the phone to a cop and the cop then gives them an earfull...

...I never hear from them again.

(My daughter nearly wet her pants laughing one day when I did this in the car on speakerphone)