Thread: Product certification

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Product certification

So I build a house ...

I get plans through the correct channels ... use legit contracotors.

Get a registered electrical company in to do the electrical work who should be installing SABS approved products.

A legit COC is provided ... and copy sent to the insurance company ... and we live happily ever after.

Something goes wrong with a product the registered electrician installed ... a light fitting which is purchased from the wholsaler ( but doesnt have SABS approval ... but does have other stamps of approval) ... will the insurance company cover the repairs?

YOu decide to go online and buy a product on bangood and get a registered electrician to replace the exisitng fitting which doesnt have SABS approval with the product from bangood which has UL certification only ... and the kitchen burns to the ground ... will the insiurance cover the damages or will you as the contracotr be liable for the costs?

I am in this position right now ... a customer would like to buy products on line to turn his house into a smart home ... as a registered person and a registered electrical company ... my job is to provide all the wiring required to the various locations ... like neutrals to the switch points ... upgrade the DB to accomadate the smart devices (relays etc) ... the plan is to provide all the wiring etc ... and the customer will fit the components.

In fact I have had 2 requests this week for the same type of setup.

People want smart homes ...using DIY products.

I sign off the wiring and take pics and walk away.

Is it time for new amendments?

The question is ... all this DIY smart equipment being installed ... how do you verify certification and compliance with the electrical codes.

Are insurance companies offering cover for all these "DIY" products being purchased and installed all over the world ... not just SA?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Well, I worked in the USA for a while doing UL certifications.
    UL is specifically for Underwriters Laboratory and purely for insurance purposes. It does not cover effectivity of product, longevity, quality or anything else.
    It is purely a will it hurt someone or will it damage property if something goes wrong.

So in that case, I would hope that a South African insurance company would accept UL-certified products.
    SABS is a safety standard as well, so I believe that falls under the same category as UL.

Certifications like CE, ICASA, FCC, etc is about functionality, interference and a less about product safety.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The question is simple ... which certification is applicable in SA ... if the product is not SABS approved ... which I would assume is the SA certification ... would UL (certification in the USA) or CE (certification for Europe) approval be aceptable if attached to a COC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UL_(safety_organization)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

The keys words being "conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold"

IF I buy a sonoff product and attach this CE complicance certificate ... is it sufficient?

https://www.facebook.com/iteadstudio...8873107806781/
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some useful information with regards to symbols on the equipment.

CE marking is an administrative marking that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area. The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that have been manufactured to EEA standards.

Or in some cases

CE - Chinese exports

So we ask ourself this question ... are CE ... UL certifications valid in SA ...if not what as a cutomer should we expect when equipemnt is installed on our property?

I have been in the elctrical industry for almost 40 years and I am confused about which standard is required ... imagine the poor customer who has no idea about SABS ... SABS EMC ... SANS ... ASA ... VDE ...UL ... CE COC's ...

https://www.ee.co.za/article/guide-r...oducts-sa.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ues..._channel=efixx

IT boils down to one thing ... lack of control or management of imports and distributors ... the wild west has nothing on Safety in the South

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So true, Ian. It can be very confusing, therefore we have to ask questions and obtain quality certificates or certificates of accreditation. If unsure, contact the regulating body to confirm that the certificate is genuine and valid. Report false declarations certificates.

The SABS, which falls under the DTI, has been broken up into the NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) and SANAS (South African National Accreditation System).
    The NRCS is an entity of the department of Trade and Industry established to administer compulsory specifications and other technical regulations with the view to protect human health, safety, the environment and ensure fair trade in accordance with government policies and guidelines.

SANAS is responsible for the accreditation of certification bodies, Calibration, medical, chemical forensic, testing and other labs, inspection bodies and rating agencies. Normally there is a SANS standard and a certificate will be issued by the NRCS if a product meets the standard. However, regular testing is required to ensure that the standard is maintained.

The SABS mark has nothing to do with these two, but is still regarded as a mark of quality. (Substituted by ISO9001?) Unfortunately they no longer have the capacity to adequately test products as before.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...