Thread: Wholesaler/supplies and contractors all in one

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Wholesaler/supplies and contractors all in one

Something I have noticed recently ... the conflict between wholesalers who have taken ownership of certain brands ...which has resulted in an increase in price or a lack of availability at certain wholsalers.

Suppliers ...wholesalers and contractors teaming up ... making it literally impossible for you to compete for tenders.

This must be the most blantant example I have experienced to date ... I went to a site meeting yesterday ... a rather interesting one ... I was requested as an installer to quote to do a minor installation ... but a very tricky installation ... it didnt take long for me to figue out that the supplier of the product had teams of staff already on site doing the same type of work they were asking me to do ... however due to the lack of experience in the field the installer needed advice on how to overcome the issues they faced ... so I was called in to "quote" for a small portion of the work ... I have been doing this for too long to get caught out like that ... so i submitted a quote to design the installation ... once they accept that quote and pay the consulting fee then I will share my thoughts.

Suddenly I start taking note of this kind of practise ... and notice not only are solar suppliers doing it ... but there are electrical wholsalers which have contractor vehicles leaving early in the morning and arriving at closing time and parking on the premises in the evening.

Another example ... AC/DC has partnered with Sunburst electrical ... so as a contactor purchasing goods for AC/DC you dont stand a chance when tendering against them.

This has always been seen as bad practices ... which in this day and age has become the norm ... thank goodness I only have a few months left to maintain my ethical standards in my bussiness (one of the most difficult challenges of running a bussiness) ... then we can do what we need to do to get the job.

I also believe it is time to bypass wholesalers and places like AC/DC and suppliers should sell directly to contrators ... which would make it fair ground for all to play.

Loyality has become quality products and fax machines.
    Last edited by ians; 03-Dec-20 at 03:01 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is a prime example of creating a monopoly. They are in it for the money and not for a long term relationship with a customer. In the end they will get caught out or overtaken by another monopoly. Unfortunately, the world is not fair. Kudo's for no falling for their tricks.

You ask any business owner why they are in business and 99% of the answers will be "to make money". Well, where does the money come from? From a customer or client of course! I believe in the philosophy of business guru Peter Drucker; " the purpose of a business is to create a customer". Customers and innovation are the most important functions of a business.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ooooooooooooooooooooo APPLE iStore..... RIGHT TO REPAIR!!!!!!!!!!!! Monopoly.... cough cough....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have also noticcd this, and only get calls when there is a problem, and am expected to offer free advice and solutions, but never sell any of my product.

I no longer offer free advice or solutions, I now issue a quotation using my products to solve the problem.

Interesting as they scuttle away looking for another victim to pry out free information. They are finding it difficult as there are less and less victims offering free information or have no clue to solve the problem.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We are moving into a new era ... I believe wholesaler ... the middle man is gona become a thing of the past ... manufacturer to your door is already a reality.

I see in the UK ... most of the sparkies order the products directly from amazing (you know who I am talking about) straight to the site they are working ... and done over night.

Those days of spaending 2 hours of your day at the wholesaler waiting in a que and for the puller to get your stuff ... is coming to an end.

Online shopping and delivery services are already here ... just a pity we have such shyte service ...for the smart people ... seen as oportunity.

IF I look around the massive storage facilties are already built ... and growing faster than manufacturing companies ... even frewways are being modified for these massive storage cities ... I can hear the trucks on the freeway from 2 am in the morning ... till 11 pm.

Its time to adaptor or get left behind.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We are moving into a new era ... I believe wholesaler ... the middle man is gona become a thing of the past ... manufacturer to your door is already a reality
    This has been a trend for the last 20 years, slowly catching up with more and more industries. E.g. Remember the days when you could go to your local pharmacist, discuss your problem and get meds right away? Those days are long gone. Pharmacists have to belong to a bigger group or organisation if they want to make a living at all. Align with the big boys or die. That is now happening in more industries so that the shareholders can earn more, at the expense of whoever get caught up in the restructuring.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...