Thread: Import / Export taxes, License, costs and government department advise needed.

Thanks

Import / Export taxes, License, costs and government department advise needed.

What are the costs for applying for an import / export license? and which government department do i contact?

I want to import products from China, does anyone know what the import taxes are on items. I want to have clothing manufactured with our desings in China
    as-well as import some products we want to stock in our stores.

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you are a registered business, there is no cost to get an import license, which you apply at SARS, and if you are in good standing with them, will probably issue the number in a few days. You can get your accountant to do this for you.

With reference to tariff codes, I suggest you contact one of the local companies that handle freight. They have the necessary experience to look up the correct tariff codes, which you can get your supplier to place on their invoices. In this manner you can pre-clear goods before they arrive, reducing the time from arrival to delivery to you. They also handle the VAT and clearing customs and all the necessary processes on your behalf.

Yes you can do this on your own, but it is a slow steep learning curve with lots of frustrations and time wasting. Would not recommend it.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I respect people who stand up for their religion and principles. I do however hate it when people use religion to hoodwink believers into some scheme from which only they will benefit and stuff the rest. I am therefore shocked and amazed at your request, as you have been touting for investments into your "organization" to save the future of South Africa and to make it a world leader.

You have claimed and I quote;
    1. Timeless Will making the South Africa economy boom... revive it from the dead into a world leader.
    2. Timeless will make SA the financial capital of the world with our goal of achieving this in 20 years. God shows me timelines but only He knows the true timing, i try and plan according to 20 yrs on things GOD shows me.
    Do you realize that China has virtually killed our textile industry? Do you realize that thousands of workers have lost their jobs in textiles? Do you know that our very competent textile industry is battling to recover with some assistance from a few retail chains. Now you want assistance by selling "shares" in a pie in the sky idea and to import from China.

How do you want to make South Africa a world leader by investing in Chinese textiles. Landing it here and selling at a profit with other people's money! And possible at the cost of more South African jobs!

Your obvious lack of business acumen and pie in the sky ideas reminds me of similar MLM or pyramid schemes. I pray that God will open your eyes as this is certainly not a Godly project.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

4. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (03-Dec-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I respect people who stand up for their religion and principles. I do however hate it when people use religion to hoodwink believers into some scheme from which only they will benefit and stuff the rest. I am therefore shocked and amazed at your request, as you have been touting for investments into your "organization" to save the future of South Africa and to make it a world leader.

You have claimed and I quote;

Do you realize that China has virtually killed our textile industry? Do you realize that thousands of workers have lost their jobs in textiles? Do you know that our very competent textile industry is battling to recover with some assistance from a few retail chains. Now you want assistance by selling "shares" in a pie in the sky idea and to import from China.

How do you want to make South Africa a world leader by investing in Chinese textiles. Landing it here and selling at a profit with other people's money! And possible at the cost of more South African jobs!

Your obvious lack of business acumen and pie in the sky ideas reminds me of similar MLM or pyramid schemes. I pray that God will open your eyes as this is certainly not a Godly project.
    An industry quote:
    Many challenges have impacted the South African clothing and textile industry since the transition to democracy occurred in the 1990s. Higher wages and lower demand have caused a steady decline in employment opportunities. The industry has averaged a job loss of about 4,000 people per year.

Cheap imports have also made it difficult for industry professionals to be competitive. Import increases from China, in particular, have been devastating. Some years saw import growth of more than 700%.
    I watched the textile and shoe manufacturing industries fall apart in Cape Town. I know a lady that went to work at the textile factory one day and it was closed - no warning, no nothing - everybody were forced to go home and never return. I did some work for a shoe manufacturer - they did many branded shoes for big retailers like Edgars....they are also long gone. I know two mom & pop shoe manufacturers in Cape Town - they used to sell at the Waterfront and flea markets....with Covid-19 they also closed down.