Thread: Can I move a light switch 2m?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Can I move a light switch 2m?

Hi there

This is my first post, so apologies if I say/do something wrong.

I have been DIY'ing for years, but this is the first time I would like to attempt to DIY something electrical.

So the story is, that I need to move a light switch in my house about 2m (maybe 3) to the right.

Is there anything stopping me from doing it myself? If not, what is the best way to go about it? All online DIY how-to's are about America, so I want to do it the right way for RSA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

The Electrical Installation regulations as published would not allow you to undertake the moving of a light switch as a DIY person unless you are a electrician carrying out the work for yourself.
    You are ultimately responsible for the electrical installation as a house owner and would need to abide by the regulations.

I have pasted from the EIR what I see as relevant to preventing a DIY person taking on the task.

Responsibility for electrical installations
    2. (1) Subject to subregulation (3), the user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall be responsible for the safety, safe use and maintenance of the electrical installation he or she uses or leases.
    (2) The user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall be responsible for the safety of the conductors on his or her premises connecting the electrical installation to the point of supply in the case where the point of supply is not the point of control.

[IDesign and construction
    5. (1) No person may authorise, design, install or permit or require the installation of an electrical installation, other than in accordance with a health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations under section 44 of the Act.
    (2) No person may use components within an electrical installation unless those components comply with the standards referred to in the relevant incorporated standard referred to in subregulation (1), and proof of compliance shall be identifiable on the components or certification shall be available from the manufacturer or supplier of the materials or components in
    terms of the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications Act, 2008 (Act NO.5 of 2008).
    (3)
    Items of an electrical installation not covered by an incorporated health and safety standard, and the conductors between the point of supply and the point of control, shall be installed in accordance with the by-laws or regulations of the supplier concerned.
    (4)
    A registered person shall exercise general control over all electrical installation work being carried out, and no person may allow such work without such control][/I]

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. Looks like I'll be getting an electrician in.