Thread: Working on bad electrical installations

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Working on bad electrical installations

I am now in a bit of a situation ... the property I discusssed a while back ... where a really bad installation was susposed to be inspected and a COC was issued

After getting a second opinion from an independent electrical inspector ( didnt want to be bias because it is one of my customers) it turns out the inspector who is a plumbing/electrical company in Hillcrest and surrounding areas did a favour for a mate ... a long list was provided of all the faults ... the inspector who apparently didnt even visit the site (becoming quite common considering there is no policing of the industry) TO carry out an inspection ... who agreed to spend a week or two on site to fix and rewire the all the illegal parts of the installation.

The thing that happens on 99% of these illegal COC's ... a team of useless labourers are dumped on site and after a day of literally trashing the house ...thrown off site by the owner by the second day.

Here is the problem ... I am now left with this property ... I didnt realise how bad it was until I arrived on site yesterday to fit a pool timer.

So it was blinkers and dark glasses on and do what I was requested to do ... just fit a timer ... to give you an example without even looking at any other part of the installation ...just the pool DB how bad could it be?

NO screws to secure the DB cover
    A circuit feeding a plug in the bedroom on the other side of th house ( I didnt even check to see if it was on erth leakage)
    Circuit breaker not correctly selected for the wire size.
    Cables which leave the DB and go into the wall but dont feed anything ( it seems they are blanked off and plastered into the wall)

and these where the issue I noted because they directly affected the job I had to do

I didnt even get to see the main DB ... because if is apprently behind the fridge with hlaf the cupboard covering it.

I made a few suggection to the customer ... to start small and work from the main DB ... fit a junction box in the roof ...extend the cable and reloacte the main DB to the pasage behind the door.

I AM GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN AS I HAVE DONE ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS ...

DO NOT TRUST THE SELLER WITH PROVIDING THE COC ... RATHER SPEND A FEW HUNDRED RAND GETTING A SECOND OPINION ... BEFORE THE TRANSFER GOES THROUGH.

ONCE THE TRANSFER GOES THROUGH ... YOU AS THE BUYER BECOME LIABLE FOR THE ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION AND ALL THE REPAIRS REQUIRED TO GET TH E PROPERTY UP TO STANDARD ... ALL ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS WHO CAN ISSUE COC'S ARE "REGISTERED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS" SO DONT LET THAT FOOL YOU INTO ASSUMING THE COC OR THE INSPECTOR IS LEGIT.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AGAIN.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (25-Nov-20)