Thread: The number you dialed does not exist on the MTN network

Bronze Member
    Thanks

The number you dialed does not exist on the MTN network

Hi guys

So a few months back my daughters school was trying to contact me and eventually emailed me asking for a correct mobile number, which they had and dialed. (It seems Makro also cannot get through to me, same error message). These are 2 that I am aware of, there could be many more.

I have a Vodacom number, have been with them for at least 6 years now, prior to that CellC and MTN before that.

My number is a business number which I rely on for clients to call me, how unprofessional do I seem when they cannot get hold of me.

I have logged several calls to Vodacom and each time saying they have resolved the issues but off course nothing has changed. Even swapped sim cards and tried my sim in another device.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before and if so how was it resolved.

The school IT Manager contacted me to say that there was another parent with the same issue. This parent has been with Vodacom forever and has never ported so its unlikely to be a porting issue.

I have been asking the call centre to give me the number or transfer me to the Manager and they just ignore my request. I am threatening to go to the ombudsman, not sure if that will force them to take me seriously.

Last email from Vodacom is that they have referred the matter to MTN for resolution. I dont think this is an MTN issue or is it?

Appreciate any advice on a way forward.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kavesh View Post
    I have logged several calls to Vodacom and each time saying they have resolved the issues but off course nothing has changed. Even swapped sim cards and tried my sim in another device.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before and if so how was it resolved.
    I have had a similar problem on and off for over a year now. First noticed it when my wife couldn't get through to me. The call would disconnect instantly. However, I could call her without any problem.
    Both phones are on the Vodacom service. Mine is an 082 - always Vodacom. Hers is an 083 - ported to Vodacom many years ago.
    Phoned the Vodacom help line - no joy.
    Took both phones in to the local Vodacom shop. They ended up recording a fault with reference number. No-one came back to me.
    Took both phones out to Vodacom at Gateway and made quite a fuss.
    The service person there changed the Mobile network setting from LTE/3G/2G to 3G/2G on my wife's phone.
    And suddenly she could call me and get through.

He had heard that this fixed the problem, but had no idea why.
    Of course it actually doesn't solve the problem, because it is the caller that needs to make the change, not the recipient of the call. How do you tell the person they need to change a setting on their phone when they can't get through to you to tell you thay can't get the call through to you.

Apparently despite the change in settings, my wife's phone continues to access LTE when it is available.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This appears to be a technology problem as it happens across all networks, including Telkom & Cell C.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...