Thread: Geyserwise - PV panels

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Geyserwise - PV panels

Hi

Had a call over the connection of a Geyser wise system using 3 PV panels which then supplies +/- 138vDC to the element via the controller.
    The discussion moved around a bit and again brought up the fact that Plumbers seem to think they can connect them up as it is a stand alone system.

I disagree as SANS 10142 clearly states differently in the Introduction pasted below and so should only be done by registered Electrical Contractors.

One thing that did spring to mind is how do we as electricians comply to the regulation of having an Earth Leakage unit installed on the geyser when we are now suppling DC power to the geyser.
    In my little mind , DC power to the geyser with a negative earthing system could be even more dangerous then the AC connection.

They cover themselves by stating in the installation manual to " Observe all precautions as set out in SANS 10142 when working with electricity"

and again under general as pasted below

Has anybody installed one and thought about the regulations ?

General
    Do not dismantle the Modules or tear up any labels.
    Installation should be done by qualified professionals only.
    Ensure that the correct connector pairs are used.
    Do not touch the exposed cables or connectors.
    De-energize PV modules by removing it entirely from light or by covering the front surface with an
    opaque material.
    System designers shall design an appropriate bracket and follow the instructions to fix the PV module
    to the bracket.
    Installation and maintenance shall be performed in accordance to all electrical safety regulations.
    Do not stand on the modules.
    Do not paint the modules or spray any material on the modules.
    Always transport the modules carefully and according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Take care that
    the modules are not scratched, as scratches may influence the efficiency of the modules.

Introduction
    In this edition an attempt has been made to move towards the IEC codes:
    extra low voltage (below 50 V) and d.c. applications (up to 1,5 kV) have been
    introduced as new requirements owing to the extensive usage of, and
    increased fire risk that result from, high load currents. This part of
    SANS 10142 does not intend to cover the LV control circuits of machinery or
    system components that are external circuits between separately installed
    parts of the machinery or system components

Thanks
    I had a look at the geyserwise literature online and I don't see anything about using PV generated DC as geyser power, only using a small PV panel to power a pump.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I had a look at the geyserwise literature online and I don't see anything about using PV generated DC as geyser power, only using a small PV panel to power a pump.
    https://www.geyserwise.com/products/...eating-system/
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

4. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (17-Nov-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I see you can even buy a 48 VDC ... 1500 w element.

http://www.elexco.co.za/index.php?ro...product_id=909
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I see you can even buy a 48 VDC ... 1500 w element.

http://www.elexco.co.za/index.php?ro...product_id=909
    Note that this element will require a DC rated thermostat. A standard AC thermostat will burn the contacts the first time the thermostat opens to disconnect the power to the element.
    Geyserwise gets away from using a thermostat because their element is made from a PTC material, whose resistance increases with temperature and by doing so self regulates the amount of heat it produces.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am still asking around with regards to the dual element similar to the geyser wise system and the issue around regulations.

Everybody seems to duck the question which makes me wonder how the installations are being done.

You do not seem to get an ELU that will work with DC so that kind of goes against the regulations already.

I would think that you need to install a 4 pole isolator that can isolate the DC and AC supply to the element at the same time - Will need to be rated for DC switching.

I also do not find any DC rating for normal house wire and so wonder if we can have the 2 supplies in a single compartment , being the geyser element compartment , without having the wiring rated at DC to comply with 6.1.7

6.1.7 If conductors that operate at different voltages run in the same
    wireway, the insulation of each conductor shall be able to withstand the
    highest conductor voltage in the wireway. Alternatively, the conductors shall
    be separated by a continuous barrier of insulating material or earthed metal