Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New smart timer from CBI

Diamond Member
    Thanks

New smart timer from CBI

https://cbi-lowvoltage.co.za/asc-qr

CBI has a really bad reputation for timers ... I dont support them ...simply because for half the price you can get a timer which will break just as quick ... however I came acrosss this new timer/Astuate smart controller from CBI.

I will only be collecting my new unit in the morning ... I wanted to get some feed back from anyone else who has tried this timer/smart controller ...according to CBI everyone who has one is very happy with the unit ... lets hear from everyone

bragging the following:

Wi-Fi enabled
    Scheduled energy management
    Energy monitoring
    Automation and IoT
    Device automation sharing
    CBI Home App and more

What got my attention is the 30 amp switch rating ... I dont know of any brand of geyser timer that can handle a 4 kw geyser element longer than 6 months of constant switching.

I am being told the unit falls aseep if it looses the wifi connection ... that just sucks ... apparently the unit is controlled in the cloud ... no cloud no operation

If you have a telkom ADSL line like me ... that means you loose hot water every couple of weeks for a a couple of weeks ... you know what that means within a week the unit will be bypassed or disconnected and thtown in the pile of 5 trillion other "geyser" timers I have installed for customers ... who within a couple weeks or months realise its a gimmik and have it removed ... all it takes is 1 cold shower after a visit to the beach on a saturday morning at 11 ... the wife wants it out.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Timers are a pain in my Life
    We started using the Astro Nova timer and have around 10 or so in for the past 4 years - Little bit more but worth it in shopping centers for outside lighting as it adjusts the time automatically to sunrise and sunset.
    Had one go faulty , removed it and brought it down to the workshop - Connected up and it was working perfectly. Seems like if a spike gets to it , you need to drop power to it for 5 minutes and switch back on.
    All the settings etc were still there.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The more I ask questions about this CBI timer/ASC ... the more I am getting a bad feeling about it ... It seems it is still too new for anyone to give me a straight answer ... the fact that it relys on wifi ... the fact that i need to switch a 4 kw element ... I am gonna have to sleep on it and make a decision in the morning.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So i decided to bite the bullet and collected 2 units.

Out the box ... looks similar to the old timers ... same shape etc.

Removed the old CBI timer from the DB ( It hasnt worked for about 3 years ... bypassed it and used it as a DB blank since then) and fitted the new ASC.

Connected it up ... linked it ot the wifi and paired it to my phone ... simple easy process .. .even I could do it without phoning a friend.

Browsed the app without even reading those things people put in the package which nobody reads until things go wrong ( the instruction manual)

Setup the timer and we done ... very very simple.

But here is the part which will hlep me ignore the sleep mode when the wifi connection is lost ... which by the way sends you a notification to tell you it has disconnected ... it has an electric tab ... so right now the current is 4.316 amps ... the power is 1030 ... the voltage 239.9 and total (KWH) so far is 0.50 and below the info it indicated November ... I am liking this feature ... which reminds me ... I need to switch the bypass off so that it switches with the timer.

The click sound it makes as it switches sounds pretty solid.

Time to go install the other unit

By the way CBI didnt sponsor these units ... I paid for both if the unit goes faulty or we start experiences issues with them you will know about it.

IF you are smart you fit one to your security lights ... 1 to your pool pump and you can see the useage per day per month

Thanks
    I like this features:

The programmable time switch can be used to automatically control pool pumps, lights, geysers, etc.
    LCD touch-screen
    Simple setting of time and programs
    Multiple ON/OFF programs
    Improved 15 minute segments
    Graphical display on home screen of 24h program schedule
    Compact size
    Dual mount: Mini rail or DIN rail (remove escutcheon adapter)
    Backup power displays time for 12 hours and keeps time for at least 24 hours. The programmed schedule is always retained.
    Time switch has a by-pass (manual ON/OFF) capability

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
    I like this features:

The programmable time switch can be used to automatically control pool pumps, lights, geysers, etc.
    LCD touch-screen
    Simple setting of time and programs
    Multiple ON/OFF programs
    Improved 15 minute segments
    Graphical display on home screen of 24h program schedule
    Compact size
    Dual mount: Mini rail or DIN rail (remove escutcheon adapter)
    Backup power displays time for 12 hours and keeps time for at least 24 hours. The programmed schedule is always retained.
    Time switch has a by-pass (manual ON/OFF) capability
    You are refering to a standard CBI timer ... the ones which have a really bad reputation ...sometimes you get "lucky" and it works for longer than a year.

https://cbi-lowvoltage.co.za/qat

The ASC (Astuate smart controller) from CBI was released a few months ago.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Then just let CBI kick you in the teeth properly.

The electrical wholesalers are selling the product to the electrical contractors for just under R500 including vat.

Then you get a customer who visits the most expensive DIY shop in the country (Builder warehouse) and finds them on the shelf for R349 including vat.

No wonder the wholesalers dont support CBI anymore.

So I visit builders to buy 10 of them ... nobody knows what I am talking about ... the code doesnt reflect on their system ... they cant pick up the code on the system ...yet they have a label on the shelf with the price and code ... a promotional advert with a picture of the product ... but nobody knows anything about the product.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I got a call from CBI today to clear up this mess.

CBI will be offering training at my local builders warehouse in the morning to assist staff with the product.

The price is an inhouse special offered by builders.

If you buy this product for your local electrical wholesaler you will pay between R450 and R600.
    Last edited by ians; 17-Nov-20 at 01:04 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I can officially install these units faster than the customer can download and register the app on the phone.

Builders cannot keep up with demand for these units

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Oooops ... before installing one of these units there are 2 things to note.

1 - Make sure you have wifi coverage at the point you are going to install the unit ...dont assume there is coverage everywhere in the building.

2 - Make sure the WiFi is 2.4 GHz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast