Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Merits of Apple debate

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifrug View Post
    As jy dit wil uitdeel moet jy bereid wees om dit te kan vat ook! om mense boy te noem op n forum is mos nou onnodig k@k soek. Jy het dringend sielkundige hulp nodig.
    LoL - ....jy moet die diktoionaery lees ou broer....

"Fanboy" definitions:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanboy
    : a boy or man who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/fanboy
    : a male fan, especially one who is obsessive about comics, music, or science fiction
    : A boy or man who is ardently devoted to a single hobby or interest.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fanboy
    : An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Thanks
    Well, that escalated quickly out of a post about lightbulbs in the electrical forum by Adrian.

But in all honestly, I'm not sure how the hate is so strong by the Android boys. It's cool, at no point have we tried to convince you otherwise, but all I see is Adrian fighting everyone that dare uses an Apple product.

I'm pretty deep. I own a business and every single machine (macbbook pro's / iMacs) is Apple, and 90% of the software we use on them is Apple too. All our phones are too, which crosses over to home. Th productivity and quality of product they put out is unrivalled, and the fact that despite these machines living a tough life (my mid-level staff outside of a Corona year will fly 150+ times) we've had zero loss / viruses / data loss etc ever. Plus that we can still sell a beaten up laptop for R10k+ blows my mind (although they try look after them as they get it as a bonus). Let alone swapping everything to Facetime (100% of our global clients in NYC / LDN etc too) that dropped our company Vodacom bill by R20k a month, and the integration between calls / messages / calendars / apps etc on phone / computer, seamless... again, until you use it, you dont know you missed it.

Now onto home life... my work laptop was always so good, I naturally swapped into iPhones when Apple started making them. The first few were nothing like today admittedly, but now my whole house is Apple. I truly cannot fathom not having Siri doing stuff for me, from dictating messages through to lights in house or even closing the garage door when going cycling. I built my house around their (admittedly still small, but growing) Homekit, and whilst most of it is Philips Hue for lighting, Meross for garage and gate and some other brands for intercom / cameras / garden watering - life is easy and works well with two homepods meaning that I can leave my phone at the other end of the house. The way with the latest Apple TV update it all can now link even deeper shows that as people use the stuff it's becoming brilliant.

But this whole few min replying is probably wasted. Those who know know. And before any hater jumps in and says "but my fanglezippybongwatercockmobeel android can do that", you're right. It can do ALL the above, but in a hodge-podge hack job, one million different systems, that will take you a whole weekend to set up, and still spazz out every now and again. I'm sorry, no one has time for those half-baked solutions, no matter how cheap. I travel a lot and my GF can simply enjoy living in a house that does what it says on the tin. Every. Single. Time. My staff can open and work on projects from Lagos to London or Nairobi to New York. Every. Single. Time. There's value in that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to say I have a few buddies where we lightly rib each other because of our "big tech" preferences - Apple, Microsoft, iOS, Windows, Android, Alphabet/Google etc.
    (Without us even starting going down the Facebook, Amazon side where one tends to find fewer raving fans but no shortage of users ).

Happily, it has stayed light for the most part. But reality is all of these big tech companies have sinned to some extent one way or another.
    And they all have their different strengths and weaknesses. So there is no shortage of material to argue points.

I really suggest though it is about about preferences, and what is important to you. And whatever technology line you chase down, it is your decision. Just like everyone else.
    As it should be.

Live and let live folks. If you're going to compare merits, please keep it informative and the jousting light and friendly.
    Otherwise who is the real monster here - them or you?

4. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (07-Nov-20)

Thanks
    Yeah, as Dave says...the only thing I'd add to that is Apple sucks unwashed and unwiped ass as a company and as a product. Apart from that the choice is yours....

6. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (06-Nov-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I also spot a serious logic flaw in the opposition party's argument:

The fact that one DOES NOT support a particular group DOES NOT infer that one support their opposition.

I HATE all of them - I just hate some more intensely than others!....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is it not typical of the corporate world. Each have their own system with rules and regulations on how to use them. Some will suit you and some don't. I get endlessly frustrated by computers, but mostly it is because I don't have a BSc in computer science.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Is it not typical of the corporate world. Each have their own system with rules and regulations on how to use them. Some will suit you and some don't. I get endlessly frustrated by computers, but mostly it is because I don't have a BSc in computer science.
    I enjoy computers having spent many years in the software development field.

The problem for me is the controlling / invasive manner in which the large IT companies operate. Each one of those companies are money grabbing scumbags in their own peculiar way.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I enjoy computers having spent many years in the software development field.

The problem for me is the controlling / invasive manner in which the large IT companies operate. Each one of those companies are money grabbing scumbags in their own peculiar way.
    Totally agree!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

11. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (08-Nov-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A i have mentioned before ... I have enjoyed using apple products ... I think it is a great product and strong enough to tolerate the abuse I throw at it ... slid down the road once or twice ... fallen out my pocket while on a ladder etc etc ... easy to use for us less technically minded people ... never been concerned about bugs in the system ( not saying they have'nt infested my devices already ...I have no virus protection on any of my apple devices) ... was it worth spending the R10 k on the device a million hundred fifty seven years ago ... when I see how many (android) device the rest of the family have gone through in the same time frame ... hell yes.

I am at a point where 80 % of my apple devices ... still is perfect working order are no longer any use to me ... the reason IOS system ... The plan was to use the old edvices as wall mounted units to control my home security system ... alarm ... CCTV and security lighting ... unfortunately the security sytems requires later versions of IOS.

I had to upgrade from the iphone 5 (now only good for whatsapp) to 5s so that I could update the software ... to keep certain apps running ... It wont be long before they drop the Iphone 5s off the update list

The devices are pretty much becoming paper weights or door stops.

I need to "invest" in a tablet/netbook which I can use on site ... for commisioning CCTV systems ... allarm systems... COC's ... and pretty much to do everything invoicing ... I have a acer netbbok ( another worthy piece of equipment ) I bought it in 2006 and still use with the same battery ... for the power quality and thermal equipment downloads.

Time to to upgrade to 1 device for all applications ... one which like my Fluke 1653 ...can hook over my shoulders and be mobile with a keypad if required ... link to the internet ... bluetooh (yes some devices still use blutooth ... it is what happens when you buy quality products ...they last for ever) all that kind of stuff ... but one feature missing from all the devices ... tech okes are a bit slow ... a means for customer to pay for services and goods ... swipe the card ... ther eare external devices avaialbe ... but i am sure it is in the pipe line.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am totally against the so-called Ecosystems. Although I hate the big A I will never run Microsoft or Android without hordes and hordes of protections. I run serious host file blocking, firewalls and also a multitude of blockers within the browsers. I am totally anti the invasive inter-connectedness. Many people run fake personas on some of their devices to get around this.

One of my serious peeves is the whole cloud-based storage/software thing. I refuse to run anything cloud based and I refuse to use cloud based storage. I am happy to run MS Office 2007 (it does what I need and I can use it whether I am connected to the net or not) A friend called me yesterday whining because he can't complete his cad project because his fiber went for a ball. Why in the world do people used cloud based software - I want my "ecosystem" to work whether I am connected to the net or not. Adobe just cut Venezuela off one day (even the people who paid for subscriptions) because the "Naartjie" said so.

The notion that we should be connected to the net 100% of the time is wrong. We should be connected sporadically in very small doses. The net is like a huge shopping center - we go there when we need to - WE SHOULD NOT LIVE INSIDE IT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast