Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is training really paying off?

Email problem
    Thanks
    My sympathy, and well done Debbie!

Regardless of how you feel attending a particular course, you have to ensure that your negativity doesn't rub off with the rest of the attendees. I have been guilty on at a least one occasion of going on about 'why am I here?' so much that it has had an effect on the other attendees and the course. I told myself afterwards that I needed to tone it down somewhat and that others may think differently about things.

Bob

Gold Member
    Thanks
    LOL difficult or disinterested and unmotivated delegates are simply one of the challenges most trainers/teachers face. Partly because there is no communication between manager and delegate.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go ahead. Blame it on the managers.

I've seen cases where the employee is queing up for a training course because it is a day away from work, and there is tea and cake, and all sorts of wrong reasons. Then they get there and show that they are not that interested in the topic.

If they are not interested, do everyone else a favour and send them back to work.

Come to think of it, one of the practices is to score the presenter. Maybe there is a case for scoring the delegates and sending that information back to whomever is footing the bill too.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Dave - as tough and as frustrating as it is, IMO, the ultimate responsibility lies with the managers to ensure that they are getting good value from their monetary spend? If not and the incumbent is not participating. Draw the line.

Trainers can send delegates home - but mostly a trainer will find a way to try and break down the barriers - that is what they are paid to do.

The measurement/feedback tools are all there. They just need to be used by all the parties concerned.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (08-May-08)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123