Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is training really paying off?

Thanks
    I would like to comment on observations I have made in my lifetime, so the following is simply my opinion. This sounds like a typical case of someone that wants to reach success but fears reaching it. It is something that I have learned is often the case if a person that is highly intelligent and they know they can easily accomplish the task. The problem here is quite often motivation.

The problem is identifying what the person fears the most that will motivate them to go as far as to take the step into the right direction.
    These people often are unaware of their fears and the fears are normally subconscious. So asking them about it will often not work. They make excuses in their minds of why they do not have the time for succeeding or simply why they will fail. The fact is that they made a decision to fail, the problem is proving it to them.

My suggestion is this, make him work on his excuses and then take a piece of paper and let him write it down. Every single excuse of why he made the decision to fail. He will probably argue that he didn't make the decision but ignore that and keep on hammering on it that he made a decision to fail. He then needs to compile a list of why he will succeed.

So in short he needs to divide a piece of paper into 2 columns. Excuses he use to ensure that he fails opposed to a list of why he can succeed. E.g. If one of the reasons is that he will fail to provide his other half with some tlc the other side would be that he will be able to provide her with much better/quality of TLC if reaches success. This needs to be true off course.

He then needs to create a list of how success will destroy his life compared to how it will improve his life. Off course, this will be a difficult one to do, but he HAS to write reasons for the first one.

The effect of this should be that he exposes his excuses to himself as not being the truth, but infact lies that are destroying his future. He needs to write it and make it his own. He needs to take responsibility for his actions.

I once seen this work with an employee. Most of us simply couldn't understand what his problem was and just categorized him as lazy and immature. However a final attempt using this technique seems to have worked.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I love the approach Chatmaster! I used this very approach for my youngest when she went through a nervous period jumping (her horse - that is!) Why on earth have I never thought to do it with adults! Thanks!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    lol, Sometimes I guess we as adults needs a little bit of child psychology to get our acts together

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm certainly going to give this a whirl. Thanks, Chatmaster.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I am a firm believer that any kind of change because of training doesn't happen in a couple of days. It takes time. I have found that life or group coaching are far more effective. OK, it doesn't always create that wow, but it is more sustainable. It's like getting fit. You don't suddenly realise that you are fit. It gradually happens over time.

I am runnning two-day workshops myself, but I always follow it up with individual and/or group coaching over a period of 3-6 months. I have written an article on this on my blog, www.fridayfeeling.co.zaKeep well

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks

Another look

One thing that I have found in South Africa with training is that even graduates are loathe to read - particularly in a second language. Many graduates that I have come across both in a work and social situation will do the minimum amount of reading possible for their degree and then hardly go near a book or newspaper again once they have their piece of paper.

It's part of the reason why Damelin, Boston etc make a lot of money out of giving classes for Unisa degrees. If you just read the darn books - you should be able to pass your Unisa exams without any major hassles.

Dave, I also have a very similar set up with my domestic worker at the moment. She is has a very basic education but can read and write. She very desperately wants to get her driver's licence (she approached me to start with), has spent her own money to get some sample test papers; and on top of it I have basically offered her the use of my old car when she gets the licence. Ie. the motivation is there.

However, for almost two years she battled along and was just not getting anywhere; mainly because trying to learn the various things for the Learner's licence was beyond her for two reasons:
    - the books we had were in Afrikaans;
    - the amount of information seemed too overwhelming.

To start with I had contacted all of the publishers asking for a Sotho version and they only printed the books in English, Afrikaans, Xhosa and Zulu. I also asked the Translators Institute to have a look at a Sotho version. Thankfully, we now have a book in Sotho. Great.

Next step. Going through the book with her to pick out what is likely to be the most important things based on what is given in the sample exams.

Which brings up the second point - that school doesn't necessarily teach one how to learn something to pass an exam. A person may well know a subject really well but may not pass an exam well as they try and learn everything equally and the task can be too daunting to even start with.

Thanks
    I cannot work for a salary alone, as it would kill me. I suspect that he is a youngster, and he has to make decisions. Good to get a qualification and then move on to do what your heart tells you, but be honest with yourself and those around you. To want a certain position just for the financial rewards is not good enough, and eventually the motivation will walk out the backdoor. He needs to decide where he is going and get on that path, even if it means that he has to leave your employment. Too many old timers around wishing they had made that decision when they could. I have a 21 yr old son, and is familiar with the confusion they experience.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Debbie,

Training in the workforce is great and I am sure it is appreciated by most workers. Something that bugs me in my workplace, though, is that management comes up with all those courses for the workers that have really got nothing to do with the jobs in hand. The workers are forced to attend those courses, but do so reluctantly.

For successful training I believe there should be some discussion beforehand between workers and management. Let management listen to workers suggestions and their considered needs before courses are devised. This will surely lead to both management and workers maximising on company training.

Bob

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    Hi Debbie,

Training in the workforce is great and I am sure it is appreciated by most workers. Something that bugs me in my workplace, though, is that management comes up with all those courses for the workers that have really got nothing to do with the jobs in hand. The workers are forced to attend those courses, but do so reluctantly.

For successful training I believe there should be some discussion beforehand between workers and management. Let management listen to workers suggestions and their considered needs before courses are devised. This will surely lead to both management and workers maximising on company training.

Bob
    I hear you Bob!

I start every training session with an intro and a question to the delegate - "why are you here?" 80% say because I was told to do this course!

I recently had a top manager at a workshop who did not WANT to be there. He had more important stuff to do at work. He brought the whole group down with complaints, not accepting any alternative theories and general negativity and then had the audacity to come to me afterwards and ask "HOW do I get these people to WORK? They look so enthusiastic here but at work they do NOTHING!"

I was very very proud of myself.....I remained calm!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Hats of to you Debbie! I had a manager like that in February. He made it really tough to get the rest to learn something. Fortunately I had a CEO of another company attending as well. She politely asked him to shut up and learn. That was one of my greatest days ever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast