Thread: Looking for a smart lighting solutions

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Looking for a smart lighting solutions

I have contacted numerous companies in an atempt to find a smart lighting solutions ... there a re some really awesome smart systems out there ... but not what I am looking for.

I am looking for a solutions :

for strips lights ... downlights ... garden spot lights ... exterior flood lights

to control standard white (warm and daylight) Control RGB lights ...including dimming ... rolling ... flashing ... scene setting ... etc.

switching from a standard wall switch on/off if the network is down or a mobile device.

I dont want the system to be controlled via a server in China.

I dont want to rely on a system intergrators to connect and manage the system ... it must be a user friendly system.

It seems this is going to become a bigger challenge than I expected.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I know everyone is going to roll their eyes at my answer, but I have yet to see a specifically designed (and installed) system, or even all those individual "smart bulbs" work as well as what I'm about to propose. But a heads up, it's eye wateringly expensive, but if you're willing to spend the money, it'll be sorted instantly and literally "just works".

Philips Hue.

I import all the bulbs and accessories via Amazon (easy, arrives in 4 days from UK site which is NB due to US offering the stuff in 110V) and all duties / transport / VAT etc is pre-calculated at check out. It's not cheap, but once you've started, it's properly impressive.

The GU10 White ambiance bulbs are great, and in select places you can add the White & Colour. Strip lights are really pricey, but as a system, totally next level. They even have specific light fixtures etc, which are properly next level quality and design, but would even push the most "no budget spared" build over-budget, so just stick with the bulbs.

We're pretty much an Apple home, and I've started rolling out HomeKit as it's slowly becoming more prevalent... just found cheap Homekit Gate/Garage controllers on Amazon, and what a treat. You can start to programme daily routines, use the Philips Hue sensors etc, shortcuts, and nothing like Siri to just turn on and off lights / etc.

Still have no idea why they dont bring it in... Almost everyone I show the system to ends up placing a small "starter kit" order and then adds to it.

Best is no additional wiring / no shoddy or patchy wifi needed (it's all on Zigbee) etc.

3. Thanks given for this post:

ians (30-Oct-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon123 View Post
    We're pretty much an Apple home
    I wouldn't touch Apple with my worst enemy's rat infested barge pole! There are very few companies on this planet as despicable as that lot!

Thanks
    Philips Hue, I’m quite impressed with it, it seems very expensive but looks like a great product. Is there other similar products a bit less pricey or do I have to just bite the bullet and go for it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm confident that some of the Sparkies on the Forum are innovative and clever enough to design and manufacture a solar solution at a reasonable price. Electric fencing & outside lights on solar. Lights stay on dim to save energy and lights up with PIR sensor when motion detected. Switch lights to LED, add pool pump and gates.
    Anyone up to the challenge?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I wouldn't touch Apple with my worst enemy's rat infested barge pole! There are very few companies on this planet as despicable as that lot!
    There's always one in every thread.

Honestly, that's fine. But I can assure you that no solution you offer mention will offer such a seamless, fluid mix of intergration across one's life. From TV to home to work. And their computers / software have enabled me a pretty comfy life (I use it, dont sell it).

8. Thanks given for this post:

Rifrug (01-Nov-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Different strokes for differnet folks ... I am not a apple fan boy ... but use a few apple products ... the only complaint I have ... my old apple phone and ipad are still working ... however I cannot upgrade the software to keep up with new tech.

If i could afford a full apple system ... I would certainly replace all the android stuff i have around the house ... my wife on the other hand is an android fan ... like Adrian ... only has bad things to say about my apple products.

Back to the task at hand ... finding and affordable solution.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the interests of keeping this thread on track, I have moved the Merits of Apple (or not) debate / argument over here.

11. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (05-Nov-20), Simon123 (06-Nov-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Google home is clearly a NO NO

Smart home suddenly became ‘stupid’: Google Home users left in dark as outage creates smart light blackout

https://www.rt.com/news/509623-smart...google-outage/