Thread: 3 wire transformer

Diamond Member
    Thanks

3 wire transformer

So i get a call out ... small explosion in a machine ... the transfomer went up in smoke ... no fuse protection ... no cicrcuit breaker ... the machine has been working for a few years ... and no changes have been made to the wiring (as it is from China)

The part that still gets me ... 0-230-380

The transfomer supplies the controls and the coolong fan ... L1 - 380 (white wire) ... controls and fan connected to 230 (yellow wire) ... L3 - 0 black wire ... then to confuse you ... things like the thermostat are connected on the 0 volt side ... but the n/o of the timer and temp controller are connected to the 230 volt side.

I have figued it all out created a schematic diagram ... removed the transfomer ... changed the wiring ... connected a neutral from the 5 pin plug and it is working ... but still battling to get my head around the 0 v connected to L3 ... not something i would ever do or done in the past when designing and building electrical control panels.

I have googled and found a ton of info on auto transfomers and how they work ... and used to save money.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    So its 380/400v in and then 220/230v out ? If I understand you correctly. I have seen a few of these in panels. Few I can remember was from Germany some from Italy and some other ones was from the Netherlands so wont say its a China only thing. If I understand the reasoning behind this correctly its so that you only need to bring in 3 phases and earth as the machine/ panel makes its own “neutral” if you can call it that. So any neutral problems on the feed side wont make a problem for that machine. So no nasty 400v spikes trough the 230v components when you lose the neutral for some reason. Sort of like a isolating transformer.It also saves on the cost of the cables as the 230v components in these machines only draw a few amps so the same size neutral to the phase conductor is not needed. So you use 3 core cable with separate earth. This is my understanding and if I am wrong please correct me.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    0 = L3 (380 VAC) and neutral
    230 = control wiring
    380 = L1 (380 VAC)

No fuses ... no circuit breakers ... just one big bang and a pile of smoke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.