Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of the weirdest faults I have found

Thanks
    Hi Ian. Made the video as promised. I am a man of my word.

Only then did I find out how long it takes to upload to youtube.

If anyone is interested, Ian you too, I will whattsapp it to you if you send me a number.

Or if there is anyone who can advise me of a quicker way of sharing it, I would appreciate it.

I can be contacted on derlyn700@gmail.com or 082 557 4099.
    Nothing to hide, brother.

Peace out .. Derek.
    Last edited by Derlyn; 13-Oct-20 at 05:09 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I connected my leakage current clamp to the wire to the earth wire and touched the neutral with no other wires connected ... it displays 14 mA and trips ( i do beleive this reading would be higher if the meater had a faster response time) ... which indicates that it creates a current large enough to trip the earth leakage (by the way i used a really short lead to reduce resistance) ...so back to drawing board.

I could post 2 videos of earth leakage units not tripping ... both ... the test button didnt trip the units nor did the earth leakage tester.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Sorry email is derlyn700@gmail.com

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Someething else which has got me thinking ... M&G earth leakage units ...I wish I had a spare one ... had to use it for a job which had a complicated earth leakage issue ... on that site the earth leakage units I installed would just trip randomly ... it could take a day or 2 months ... eventually i took the M&G unit and installed it on site ... as i switched on it tripped ... tried again ...just tripped .. eventually i found the cause and repiared it.

I need to setup a plug and connect the fluke 1650 ... to see the trip current and response time of the units i tested.

Derek ... take my comments with a pinch of salt ... if there is one thing i have learnt on social media ... I dont take anything to heart and dont attack anyone in person.

The reason I waste my time here is to learn from everyone ... this earth leakage topic has got my attention ... if I can learn something from it ... you have got my attention.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you recall the discussion, part of the issue was Derlyn is from East London and the supply authority doesn't supply a separate earth from the star point of the transformer...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    If you recall the discussion, part of the issue was Derlyn is from East London and the supply authority doesn't supply a separate earth from the star point of the transformer...
    Only some of the suburbs, especially the older one's, where the service cables are overhead, no earth is supplied. Only 2 wires. Live and neutral.

My house, for instance, is in one of these older areas but being a newish house compared to the rest, has an underground service cable where a seperate earth is supplied.

My test video will be uploaded this coming weekend.

Peace out ... Derek

Thanks
    I know the test methods is unorthodox and might lead to false results. Like I said was not there to test so didn’t have my equipment and remembered from my appie days that if you connected the neutral to earth it will trip. Just wanted that extra bit of it is buggerd as I have had earthleakages that you press the test button and the don’t work and if you test with a plug tester they do. Its not very common but I have seen a few cases like this.Just waiting for the go ahead from his landlord who in turn is also one of the builders I do allot of work for. He is one of those people that if you tell him something is wrong/unsafe he tells you “fix it”. I am slowly piece by piece going over most of his properties to check them for any unsafe things and I think this place will probably be the next one I will give a good looking over as I have observed a few things which is not right and have pointed it out.The bad joints I posted in another tread is also in another one of his places. So as soon as I have been back there with my proper equipment and found the reason for this I will post it here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12