So i have a customer calling for a quote ... first question can you drive to site and do a quote ... second question do you do free quotes.

Lets discuss this ...

So a customer calls and requests I visit a site to discuss work required ... no problem when i am in the area ... its a simple job to install 2 double socket outlet points .. short 10 m runs ... surface in trunking ... no problem ...lets say R1500 (just as an example).

On most occassions they will request a per point price ... sorry i dont do per point ... been there done that.

Then we get the customers who request a free quote with a details cost structure ... if you are smart ... you will give a short description and a number at the bottom of the page ... why because many customer get you to do a quote ... create a bill of quantities then just pass it on to other companies to beat your price ... sucker been there got a few Tee shirts for that one.

There are the very few who are just looking for a budget to make sure they have the funds for the project ... most of my reguler customers would do it like this.

Then you get the customer who want you to design everything ... create a job description ... material list ... and expect it for free ... with the phrase ... "you will get the job" ... OK (not really )

lets hear what you think about "free quotes"

I have had some interesting cons...

the one who contacts you to do a quote and while you are on site if you can just fix a few things ... then when you send the quote ... he found someone cheaper

or the one who talks about the "the big One" ... the big project which is coming up ... so if you can do this one at a really cheap price ... he will make sure you get the "big one" .

or the one who works for a large company ... he offers you a small project at the company wuith long stories about all the big jobs in the pipeline and expects you to do a project in tens of thousands at home.

I am sitting here smiling ...thinking about all the cons I have had to deal with in the past 30 years ... one thing I can say as I sit here ... I sleep every night with a clear conscience ... one of the most difficult challenges i have had to face in the past 30 years of running a small bussiness is not allowing myself to bend to unethical means of getting contracts.