Thread: Mixed circuit for outdoor requirements

Thanks

Mixed circuit for outdoor requirements

Hello, sorry if this is off topic but I have a question regarding mixed circuits. I will get an electrician to complete everything, but just want to plan out the routes and requirements.
    I need to get power to my gate for a gate motor, but at the same time want to have lights on in front as well. My understanding is that mixed circuits are ok provided that they are marked accordingly.

I'm uncertain on how the circuit should be terminated on the other end though, do I need separate isolators for the lights and the motor? Or isolator for motor and normal single pole light switch for the lights? Or double pole switches?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1602151924928.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	7976

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saguy View Post
    Hello, sorry if this is off topic but I have a question regarding mixed circuits. I will get an electrician to complete everything, but just want to plan out the routes and requirements.
    I need to get power to my gate for a gate motor, but at the same time want to have lights on in front as well. My understanding is that mixed circuits are ok provided that they are marked accordingly.

I'm uncertain on how the circuit should be terminated on the other end though, do I need separate isolators for the lights and the motor? Or isolator for motor and normal single pole light switch for the lights? Or double pole switches?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1602151924928.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	7976
    It boils down to what you require ... do you want the lights to switch on using a daynight switch?

Do you want the lights to trigger when the gates open?

Do you want to switch the lights on using a button on the remote?

Do you want to trigger the light ... from the alarm app on your phone?

Do you want to the lights to trigger using a sensor?

The reason i ask so many questions will determine how to wire the gate and lights.

Personally i would run 3 or 4 core plus earth ... its just opens up so many options for the controlling the lights around the gate be it pillar lights or security lights.

The easy answer is yes you can mix circuits ... provided the wiring is the correct size ...for example you would have to wire the lights using 2.5 mm instead of 1.0 mm or 1.5 mm ...unless you fit a circuit breaker at the gate.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.