Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Downlight connections

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Varner View Post
    Could someone please show me where round boxes are not allowed to have terminations done in them, I can understand joints not allowed in T pieces etc.
    I would love some clarity on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    On the right is a connection box that is not weatherproof and is ideal for downlights. It's called a RIP BOX available from ARB for R29.
    It's great to see that the RIP Box has come down to a far more competitive price from when it was first launched.

Thanks
    Derlyn it started out as connection to down lighters but the rest is not really wondering of the point as it is about how we make connections to be safe. Back to the point of the round box. Yes most light fittings have a connector on them. But what if its one of those lights that just have the piece of flex with the holder on the end ? Also what do you do if you have more than 1 neutral as most holders cant take 2 as they are barely big enough for one ? Not being funny but using a round box to make connections in then to me seems perfectly fine as it ticks all the boxes. The cables are secured ( if you use glands )no live conductors can be touched with the standard test finger with out removing a cover with a tool ( thats if you put on a cover) and can be serviced if it is in a place where you can reach it and you use block connectors to join the cables. To make it maintenance free if it is in a place where it cant be reached use ferrules and heat shrink. I would personally not just twist the wires together and tape them or use a screwit. I have seen more screwits come loose with out much effort than I have seen correctly selected block connectors melt. Correct me if I am wrong but I have seen joints in round boxes in houses with black metal tubing,black plastic tubing,white plastic tubing. The little round box has been there long before any of the other fancy junction boxes we have today has come on the market and I think thats why it has been used for joining cables for as long as most electricians can remember. The are also to me much sturdier and hold the cables beter. I will even admit that I have used them a few times to even make joints thats buried under the ground. I stuffed them full of that black putty compound. I know of at least one thats probably 18 years old and still in the ground and they are still working away with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Am I ever in for an interesting discussion with my electricians tomorrow morning...
    How did the toolbox talk go?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    How did the toolbox talk go?
    In this age of masks, I couldn't see what the mouths were doing. But all eyes went as big as saucers. Feedback is when it comes to Durban, there are connections in round boxes virtually everywhere we go...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    In this age of masks, I couldn't see what the mouths were doing. But all eyes went as big as saucers. Feedback is when it comes to Durban, there are connections in round boxes virtually everywhere we go...
    no surprise

Personally i have never come across a building in Durban where round conduit boxes are not being used as connection/junction boxes for lights ... 5 amp socket outlets ... dome lids with extractor fans ... you name it ... it is being used as a junction box for terminating cables

In fact while collecting equipment at AC/DC ... all the wago demo units display are using round conduit boxes as junction boxes.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Yeah, it's standard practice everywhere I've been in SA. Given the regs defer to the manufacturers instructions, if a round box wasn't marked specifically to forbid internal connections and there wasn't a manufacturers spec sheet available on site would you fail the installation for a CoC?

Thanks
    Originally from Cape town and I can tell you its as common as anything. Also here in Bloemfontein where I am currently.

Platinum Member
    Thanks

All conduit through boxes, whether they are end boxes ( one way ), 2 way, 3 way or 4 way are not connection boxes or terminal boxes. They are draw boxes or inspection boxes much the same as inspection elbows, inspection tee pieces etc. ( Manufacturer's specs )

Don't feel alone, brother, I've been an electrical contractor for 45 years and only became aware of this about 2 years ago.

Peace out .. Derek
    Hi

I have searched the regulations and the theory over no joints in a round box as been bugging us in the workshop.

I was with an AIA this afternoon and posed the question on joints in a round box or drawbox - His statement was " that is what a drawbox is for " .

I am now confident that we can continue using round boxes as joint boxes.

Thanks
    Hi GCE
    It seems as if the left hand of the AIA doesn't know what the right hand is saying or doing .

It was the same AIA that informed a senior member of the ECA in our valley that connections are not allowed in an
    Inspection box or drawbox.

It had nothing to do with the regulations, but manufacturer's specifications apparently. He might have been wrong.

I have stopped using round boxes for connections and use connection boxes or terminal boxes instead. ( just in case )

Peace out .. Derek
    Last edited by Derlyn; 04-Nov-20 at 09:41 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hi GCE
    It seems as if the left hand of the AIA doesn't know what the right hand is saying or doing .

It was the same AIA that informed a senior member of the ECA in our valley that connections are not allowed in an
    Inspection box or drawbox.

It had nothing to do with the regulations, but manufacturer's specifications apparently. He might have been wrong.

I have stopped using round boxes for connections and use connection boxes or terminal boxes instead. ( just in case )

Peace out .. Derek
    Every single electrical installations would be illegal in KZN if this was true ... from what I remember back in the day when i bothered with rules and regs ... you were not allowed to make joints in TEEs and elbows ... they had to be done in junction (round boxes) boxes.

Every single light fitting in in office flats and the like with junction boxes would have to be chopped out and replaced ... I cant see that happening.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast