Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Downlight connections

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    How is this legal?
    Hello brother. What, if I may ask, makes it illegal ? The connections inside are crimped with ferrules with heatshrink as insulation.

Peace out ... Derek

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hello brother. What, if I may ask, makes it illegal ? The connections inside are crimped with ferrules with heatshrink as insulation.

Peace out ... Derek
    6.3.7.2 b is a good place to start. There are others.....

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think its a brilliant idea ... or you can pay R85 for one of those silly joints which does pretty much the same thing.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Maybe what i should do is 3 D print a piece of plastic which can fit a pushin gland on either side and put a 20 mm round hole in the middle ... then its not in a connector, bend, elbow or Tee-piece of a conduit.

R 1.50 per pushin gland plus a piece of plastic R5.00 ... way cheaper than those silly little cable jointers sold for R50-R80 ... talk about a rip off.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Maybe what i should do is 3 D print a piece of plastic which can fit a pushin gland on either side and put a 20 mm round hole in the middle ... then its not in a connector, bend, elbow or Tee-piece of a conduit.

R 1.50 per pushin gland plus a piece of plastic R5.00 ... way cheaper than those silly little cable jointers sold for R50-R80 ... talk about a rip off.
    I've been looking for cable joiners mainly for retrofitting joints in downlights correctly. If you have any info or pictures on the ones you have come across I would appreciate that.
    The only ones that I could going are sold in the UK only.
    Thank you

To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    6.3.7.2 b is a good place to start. There are others.....

Complies with 6.3.7.2 b. The regulation does not mention conduit.
    Will keep on looking for the others.

This method is more compliant than using a through box with lid and screws.

Peace out ... Derek

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This is the kinda topic i enjoy discussing...

Lets put the regs aside and look at it from a practical angle.

What makes it illegal ... just because it is in a piece of pipe ... I want to know what makes using this method dangerous?

Please explain to me why the regulations states you cannot make joints in a elbow ... I know the answer ... but lets see if everyone else understands why these rules where made and how long ago they were make ... this is 20 th century very few people still install conduit and wiring.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Complies with 6.3.7.2 b. The regulation does not mention conduit.
    Will keep on looking for the others.

This method is more compliant than using a through box with lid and screws.

Peace out ... Derek
    the regulations states you cannot make a joint in a coupling ... so the couplings must go ... so you what you do is use a 25 mm pipe and epoxy the pushin glands in the 25 mm pipe ... no couplings ...no elbows .. no TEE- pieces

or use a heat gun and heat up the end of the 20 mm pvc pipe ... it makes it soft ... push the gland into the end of the pipe ... problems solved.

I am sorry but i am gonna dig my heels in on this one ... I WILL NOT BEND OVER and allow to be robbed of R80 for a joint when i can make a joint for under R5 ...i have just installed 10 x 10 watt flood lights ... it would have cost me R800 to extend the the ridiculous 10 cm long cable supplied with radiat flood light ... R50 or R800 ... i am gona take my chances with my pvc pipe

Dont forget the weather drip on the wire if you install it outside and make sure the glands are tight and seal the ends.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    the regulations states you cannot make a joint in a coupling ... so the couplings must go ... so you what you do is use a 25 mm pipe and epoxy the pushin glands in the 25 mm pipe ... no couplings ...no elbows .. no TEE- pieces

or use a heat gun and heat up the end of the 20 mm pvc pipe ... it makes it soft ... push the gland into the end of the pipe ... problems solved.

I am sorry but i am gonna dig my heels in on this one ... I WILL NOT BEND OVER and allow to be robbed of R80 for a joint when i can make a joint for under R5 ...i have just installed 10 x 10 watt flood lights ... it would have cost me R800 to extend the the ridiculous 10 cm long cable supplied with radiat flood light ... R50 or R800 ... i am gona take my chances with my pvc pipe

Dont forget the weather drip on the wire if you install it outside and make sure the glands are tight and seal the ends.
    Watching with interest.

Silver Member
    Thanks

I will start of by advising that THE OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY ACT, 1993 ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION REGULATIONS section 5 DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION makes for an interesting read.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast