Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quinetic switching

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Quinetic switching

I thought this was a new product ... but found lots of the UK sparkies using this product sine 2018.

I need to get me hands of a box of these switches.

Wireless and no battery required at the switch.

For 2 way and intermediate switching ... its a no brainer.

There are products like sonoff ... bu then you need wifi etc.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    quinetic not quinetec

Looking the price of these switches ... it coud explain why they are not sold in SA ... I have a small project which has a few garden lights connected at the pool DB and the gate and on the drieway ... but not linked together ... a switch like this would make my life a whole lot easier ... 3 of these switch at the front door ...problem solved.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUWS1W.html
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    and I dont want to open an an app on my phone everytime i want to switch a light on and off or be using a server in China to control my lights etc etc ... and in SA with all the power issues ... cable theft ... back to basics ... maybe gas or paraffin lamps around the house would be a wise choice ... but then you have to look at security ... you cant leave your fortress after dark in fear of being attacked by the the night crawlers.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    R21.43 to the pound ... i cant see these devices arriving anytime soon

Thanks
    I think these things are going to change the way houses are wired, pretty soon it's just going to be a supply to every room in the ceiling and all the luminaires supplied by a WiFi receiver. No more cabling to switches, no more cabling of strappers on 2-way or 3-way light systems. It will save a considerable amount of installation materials and labour on a new build.

I think one of the big hurdles they've overcome is, apart from no power required at the switch there's also no batterys to replace. This seems to be the way things are going, I bought smoke detectors for a job the other day, no replaceable batteries and guaranteed for 12 years on their internal lithium battery.

These will also be useful for retrofitting installations to be remote control via a smartphone app. They'll also make it easy to locate all controls in one central place like geyser timers, pool timers, lighting timers etc.

Thanks
    I brought one back from the UK a couple of months ago to have a play with. They're actually a damn good product, very well thought out and very well made.

It works out at around R800.00 for both the wireless switch and the 20A reciever so if it saves more that an hour labour running cables it's already saved the cost of itself. If you're looking for something lower end that's easier on the wallet I'm damn sure there will be cheaper far east knock-offs available shortly.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I brought one back from the UK a couple of months ago to have a play with. They're actually a damn good product, very well thought out and very well made.

It works out at around R800.00 for both the wireless switch and the 20A reciever so if it saves more that an hour labour running cables it's already saved the cost of itself. If you're looking for something lower end that's easier on the wallet I'm damn sure there will be cheaper far east knock-offs available shortly.
    I know what i am going to ask family in the UK for christmas

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What about the Sonoff stuff?
    Is Sonoff any good?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    What about the Sonoff stuff?
    Is Sonoff any good?
    I bought a sonoff unit to try out ... it requires wifi an app etc etc ... this quinetic switch ... doesnt require a battery ... wifi ... crystals ... nothing ... just a switch and a receiver at the light.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I bought a sonoff unit to try out ... it requires wifi an app etc etc ... this quinetic switch ... doesnt require a battery ... wifi ... crystals ... nothing ... just a switch and a receiver at the light.
    I agree - I refuse to use anything that requires an internet connection to work. The system has to work 100% within the confines of my local offline network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast