Thread: Quickbooks Online for Accountants - opinions

Thanks

Quickbooks Online for Accountants - opinions

Hi there

Looking for opinions on QBOA.

I like the concept but I don't know anything about the "driving" of the software.

Can anyone give me their pet likes and dislikes about the software?

Many thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My main concern with any online based software

1. - If there is an internet issue, either from your side or the server side, you can not process
    2. - You never own the software, but are always paying, irrespective of the so called free upgrades - this is called "Rental Seeking Investment" by the service provider.
    3. - Being online means that you are at the mercy of the service provider.
    4. - You have no control of any future price increases on the subscription, again placing you at the mercy of service providers.
    5. - The day that you have an issue or are unhappy with the service provider, and decide to withhold payment or do not pay the monthly subscription, means that you are left out in the cold, as you will have no access to your original data, due to being locked out.
    6. - Also difficult to move to another service provider once you are committed.

Buying software outright means that it is yours for ever, paying monthly means that you never own the software and are only paying to use the software.
    In certain instances this is acceptable, but in the cases which you are going to have data access for years past and future, then this may be an issue due to lack of no access.

If a service provider can not guarantee their software, as is usually part of their marketing sales pitch to go the subscription route, then it means that it is not good software in the first place.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to say I really enjoy using Quickbooks. I have not gone the online route though.

The thought has crossed my mind (particularly as an efficient facilitator to remote working in this COVID-19 age), but what stops me is essentially what Justloadit covers.

Pet likes of Quickbooks (desktop) -
    No batching!
    No period ends!
    No account numbers!

Pet dislikes -
    If I come across one, I'll be sure to come back and say something about it.

Thanks
    Thanks, Justloadit - my sentiments exactly. In addition I have to consider the capacity of my 4Mbps country line!

But I was looking more for opinions on any shortcomings in the usability of the software. It has been written more for the business end-user than for the accountant and I wondered if any member had come across incidences that they found irritating from an accountant's point of view.

QB Desktop Premier Accountant offers much more than the online version but it's attractive to be able to peek at ones client's books and rectify any disasters before they arrive in a festering bunch some time after year end.

Thanks
    I am with you, Dave A!

Most of my clients are Pastel/Sage users and their online version is as user-unfriendly as the desktop one.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quickbooks Accountant allows up to 30 users. Online allows 4 + your accountant. The Accountant's powers are also pretty limited and there does not seem to be much in the way of plans to increase the capacity and power in the future. I actually find it pretty basic and really not easy to use.

The online version is one major advantage, that is you have no need to be in a physical network. But I don't think it is anywhere near the desktop's power and ease of use.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I have also discovered that using the desktop app makes your life dramatically easier. Google this for the download from Quickbooks:

QuickBooks Online App With Multi-Company Support

I think this is the link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/download?referrer=qboApps
    Last edited by Andromeda; 27-Aug-20 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Link found