Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 pandemic - I think SA has stuffed this one up.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

The COVID-19 pandemic - I think SA has stuffed this one up.

I have had two regular clients who have died from COVID-19 infection in the last 2 days.
    I have had numerous instances of regular clients who have been infected with COVID-19.
    I have had numerous instances of regular clients who have experienced severe financial harm arising from the changes in business the pandemic has caused.
    Locally I have seen the Durban North branch of FNB and the Durban North Post Office closed "due to unforseen circumstances", which it seems is becoming code for "we have had a COVID-19 infection incident and are closed until we have done what needs to be done to reopen."

This pandemic is serious.
    And personally, I don't think South Africa has done a particularly good job of dealing with it.

Based on Worldometers:
    South Africa ranks 25th in the order of most populous nations.
    We are now in the top 5 when it comes to total reported infections.
    We are number 4 when it comes to new infections.

What is most telling has been the relentless growth in new cases. From Mediahack:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA-new-case-growth-vs-others.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	7935

OK. There has been some levelling off over the last 10 days. But check what has happened to testing volumes before we start reading too much into that just yet...

Just like with HIV, we are punching way above our weight.

And yet despite this all, I was standing in a queue to get into a shop this morning with the guy behind me right up my ass, with his face mask off and talking loudly into his cellphone - to the point I could feel flecks of spittle landing on my ear.

Fellow South Africans - WTF!!

What does it take to get serious about this pandemic in our country?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What is the solution?

If they lock the country down much longer then the entire economy will fail.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Read this:

Mob burns week-old Covid-19 treatment facility in Khayelitsha

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...n-khayelitsha/

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have to agree with you Dave that some people just don't seem to realize that social distancing is the only real solution,at the moment, to " flattening" the curve.
    I have to admit that Bachelor life and social distancing don't work to well though and there have been close calls to avoiding Covid so far.

There have been some interesting theory's and and articles written around what works and what is practical. The best article that I have read and has worked for us as a workshop and personal movements was published on Daily Maverick.It has been my go to document .Covid Prevention .docx

I have also been following an open twitter account of Sugan Naidoo ( https://twitter.com/sugan2503 ) and he has done a brilliant job in analyzing the figures and providing comment on a daily basis since the beginning.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    What is the solution?

If they lock the country down much longer then the entire economy will fail.
    Agreed. Lock down over the longer term just exchanges one problem for another.

The only viable option to reduce the impact of this pandemic over an extended term right now is to change our behaviour and habits.
    All of us.
    Individually and collectively.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    The best article that I have read and has worked for us as a workshop and personal movements was published on Daily Maverick.It has been my go to document .Covid Prevention .docx
    Fantastic article

I've uploaded it as a pdf below for those who won't download docx documents...

Covid Prevention .pdf

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The majority ? of South Africans are irresponsible and displays a total disregard for any authority or compassion towards fellow citizens. This may be because of the ANC's policy of civilian disobedience in the 80's and 90's. This is how they grew up and this is how they will continue to behave, as evidenced by the crime rate and spiraling corruption that has devastated this country.
    When last have you seen someone stop behind a white line at an intersection? Or is it because Mercs and BMW's (and now Bentleys) have such poor brakes? Even our provincial leader parks on a disabled parking zone when visiting the gym. When confronted, the 5 ! bodyguards gets nasty.

Nature has a way to take revenge. If you do not abide by the laws of Nature, you get washed away in a flood or wiped out by drought or a pandemic for which there is no cure or vaccination!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    The majority ? of South Africans are irresponsible and displays a total disregard for any authority or compassion towards fellow citizens. This may be because of the ANC's policy of civilian disobedience in the 80's and 90's. This is how they grew up and this is how they will continue to behave, as evidenced by the crime rate and spiraling corruption that has devastated this country.
    When last have you seen someone stop behind a white line at an intersection? Or is it because Mercs and BMW's (and now Bentleys) have such poor brakes? Even our provincial leader parks on a disabled parking zone when visiting the gym. When confronted, the 5 ! bodyguards gets nasty.

Nature has a way to take revenge. If you do not abide by the laws of Nature, you get washed away in a flood or wiped out by drought or a pandemic for which there is no cure or vaccination!
    ....I am not pro the ANC but I am anti mindless bitching and moaning....as if the americans are a symbol of how a civilized society should act - come on....the americans have shown that when there is too much freedom people will CHOOSE to harm themselves purely to spite their own rule makers!

Suspended
    Thanks
    There is a video claim that the Covid-19 virus was created in Fort Detrick, a US military facility in Frederick, Maryland, in the summer of 2019.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Anthoy View Post
    There is a video claim that the Covid-19 virus was created in Fort Detrick, a US military facility in Frederick, Maryland, in the summer of 2019.
    There are people posting from Daqing, China claiming to be from Mali...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Anthoy View Post
    There is also a claim that a scientist has fled from China, confessing to have been involved in development of the virus. So who do we believe? Beware of fake news as there are so many people and organisations feeding their own agendas.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast