Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 pandemic - I think SA has stuffed this one up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    With a reported increase in businesses closing and about 40% of South Africans now being unemployed, people are desperately looking at alternatives to make ends meet. Those with an entrepreneurial spirit may look at starting a business, but more people are taking to the streets to beg. Investors are also looking at alternative opportunities as markets crash and returns dwindle.

One of the biggest mistakes one can make is to take meagre household money to buy into an MLM at this stage. The promises are big and who does not dream of working for yourself and in your own time? MLM distributors are promising new investors big returns and an opportunity to work from home. Some even claim that their products can kill the Corona virus!

Truth is, its 99% easier to win the Lotto than to make money on MLM! The Consumer Awareness Institute in the USA (from where most MLM's emerge) has found that 99% of people lose money on MLM schemes. This research was posted on the website of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has sent letters to 16 MLM's, warning them about the claims they are making. 30 cases have been filed against MLM's in the past, alleging that they were pyramid schemes. 28 of those have either settled or were found guilty in court.

There is no such thing as a free lunch!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    One thing I have noticed in the past weeks ... the ques outside home affairs ... the post office ... sassa ... have not doubled or tripled ... they are 8 deep spreading down the road ... around the building and just getting longer.

The general crime rate is up ... for example 2 batteires are being stolen every single morning in our area alone ... I see them arriving at around 3.45 - 4.30 am ... I have footage of them hitting the houses around my house ... a peice of steel pops open the locked unit ... they loosen the wheel and slid ethe gate slightly open ... smash the box off the top of the motor ... damage the wiring and off they go ... next morning the batteries are sold for R40 in Pinetown or R50 at the scrap yard ... it will cost you anything from R500 - R800 to replace the battery and a little extra to repair other damage if you they had to break open the lid thanks to your fitting a steel frame around it ... becoming so common ... add a a bit of load shedding and gate and alarm battery replacement is becoming big bussines ... I am thinking about getting a person on a scooter with a box full of 7 amp/hr batteries to spend the day just replacing batteries all day long ... maybe I should offer the thieves R60 a battery ... if you cant beat them join them

A new target is aircon piping (always copper) chop and chop and its gone ... people are getting smart and no longer installing copper piping on the outside of buildings ... so aircans are the next best thing.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One thing I have noticed in the past weeks ... the ques outside home affairs ... the post office ... sassa ... have not doubled or tripled ... they are 8 deep spreading down the road ... around the building and just getting longer.
    I am considering closing my post box because I cannot get near the post office due to the queues and congestion. The only problem is that I do not want my home address displayed on my mail for obvious reasons.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I closed my post many years ago - it is a waste of money. I also don't like receiving speeding fines :-)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I am considering closing my post box because I cannot get near the post office due to the queues and congestion. The only problem is that I do not want my home address displayed on my mail for obvious reasons.
    I closed my PO box ... just couldnt justify the cost and the hassle to drive to the post office to collect post.

I do however agree with not using your home address displayed on my mail or any other platform.

A bussiness oportunity ... spar/checkers/ nanados or the like to offer a PO box service or address for small business or any bussiness for that matter ... as i move to the next phase of my journey ... this could be another oprotunity ... I am thinking about making use of a small storage facility ... offering a collection and delivery service to trademen ... save you having a vehicle on site exposed to the elements ... rather have a dedicated driver who runs from location to location picking up and dropping off "teams" or material ... if you have ever been to an elelctrical wholsaler to collect something ... you will see how long it takes ... an online wholsaler which deleivers to site within 3 hours ... I have many idea i want to start turning into a reality ... only 5 months to go.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have the knowledge and thosands of hours on site ... to build a fully kitted trailer for an electrician ... this is how i operated when i started my bussiness ... i had a row of trailers ...each kitted out with the equipment required to complete a specific task ... for example street lighting ... panel building and instaltions ... factory relocations etc ... the team doing the project would hook up the trailer required and head to site.

Throw in a transporter of sorts with a tow hitch ... 6.30 am the vehicles start rolling ... team with the trailer or site box on wheels ...drop off ... then use the vehicle to deliver ... then to collect or relocate teams ... just imagine the cost savings ... if the vehicle is empty ... collect and drop people on route a few extra bob

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ....in South Africa....your trailer will be stripped bare in 2 hours...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    ....in South Africa....your trailer will be stripped bare in 2 hours...
    The beuty about the trailer ... you get to roll it into the factory or building ... your vehicle stays outside.

While doing the electrical installtions at the reserve bank in Durban ... i went out to collect a drill around lunch time ... by the time I went out again ... the big steel boxes with good quality locks were smashed off and left empty ... when i confronted the security about the theft ... he didnt see anything (sitting 3 m away from the vehicle) ... thats when i started using trailers ... the trailer is rolled into the building.

Technology available ... you can fit wireless sensors ... cctv inside the trailer ...as the lid is opened not only is an alarm activated ... a notification is sent to your phone and everyone else linked on site ... including a pre and post recording ... you can even use cameras with mics ... thanks to lithium battery it can be on standby for days ... you just have to be one step ahead of them all the time .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Sounds good - I'm all for modular rolling workshops. Lots of fabrication one can do using a CNC to make modular tool-chests etc.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Sounds good - I'm all for modular rolling workshops. Lots of fabrication one can do using a CNC to make modular tool-chests etc.
    big bussines in the UK ... kitting out vans ... I have just started building a storage system in my van for those quick run around jobs ... with the lack of available work ... we are having to go back to taking on whatever comes my way.

I was even crawling around in the roof the other day ... something i havent done in a while.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast