I don't have much idea how Jacob Zuma makes his money nowadays. But suing the media certainly seems to be emerging as one of his income streams.
African National Congress president Jacob Zuma is claiming R5-million from Rapport for defamation and crimen injuria, his spokesperson Liesl Gottert said on Thursday.

This latest claim comes just a day after he reached a R50 000 out-of-court settlement with the same paper for a previous defamation and crimen injuria claim.

On Thursday, Zuma said: "Freedom of speech is one of the cornerstones in our democracy. As an ordinary South African I have the right to take someone to task if I believe his comment about me was unfair and unbalanced."

In 2006, Zuma lodged defamation claims against the media to the sum of R63-million. He is suing media owners, publishers, editors, reporters, cartoonists and newspapers. One of the claims against a newspaper concerns "layout foul play".

Broadcaster 94.7 Highveld Stereo is being sued for R7-million for broadcasting a song called My Name Is Zuma, commenting on the Zuma rape trial. It was played by Darren "Whackhead" Simpson, a member of the radio station's Rude Awakening team.

His biggest claim against a single publication is one of altogether R20-million against the Star. This claim consists of four different claims of R5-million each, three of which are against award-winning cartoonist Zapiro. The fourth is for an article accompanied by a manipulated photograph of Zuma.

The Sunday Times, Citizen, Sunday Sun, Sunday Independent and Sunday World are all being sued.

Nearly all the items in which Zuma feels he was defamed are opinion pieces or cartoons.
full story from M&G here