Thread: Annual leave

Thanks

Annual leave

Good day and thank you kindly for reading and possibly responding to this post.

Please take into consideration that I am not an incredibly informed person and I would like to offer my sincerest apologies in advance if this is not a question to be asked here, or if you should feel I have wasted your most valuable asset, Time.
    I would also like to give sincere gratitude to anyone who reads this post. Even if you did not reply, You still took the time to read this. For that, I am eternally grateful.

I very recently requested to take annual leave due to circumstances beyond my direct control. It is not from emergency but from necessity. I have an annual leave balance of over 20 days. My employer, who will remain unnamed, has denied such request, knowing that my report for duty will be very hard in light of a pressing matter beyond my direct control.

My employer refused leave on the grounds of the ongoing pandemic in which demand of services are at an all time high. I see the validation of his argument, however I also know that very recently we had another staff member out of action due to an emergency situation and thus I know having me absent from duty is possible without the employer suffering under the pressures. I also know that the employer willingly permits another staff member stationed at our location to report to another location everyday. I am unsure of the necessity of this action so I will exempt this from consideration.

My question is this: Is an employer entitled to deny an employee annual leave? In what situations is this action permitted? Is the employer acting correctly or am I acting incorrectly?

Thank you for reading this and your replies.

To anyone reading this, please note that I do not in any way, shape, or form intend to harm or allow harmful actions. I merely intend to inform as I believe in free and easily accessible information.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Here is the Basic Conditions of Employment Act. Section 20 deals with annual leave
    Amended Act - Basic Conditions of Employment.pdf

Thanks
    Thank you for your input

Thanks
    To those who are following this specific thread and find themselves wanting, do not despair, my feeling is mutual.

I believe the human race as a society has accumulated two problems:

1. People are unwilling to go out of their way to help those in need
    2. Those in need are in some cases just not willing to help themselves, or in some cases just not educated well enough to help themselves.

It is of utmost importance as a species to aid all those you can and in turn allow to be aided. I will confess I am guilty of not living up to this. Sometimes I tend to focus only on myself and not help others. Sometimes I feel that someone is not deserving of my aid because I think of them as lazy or uneducated. Sometimes I deny anyone to aid me in fear of feeling inferior. To put this into context, think of when you were an infant. Do you believe it remotely possible to have gotten to where you are now without some form of aid? If you have an infant, do you deny them aid? do you think of them as uneducated or lazy just laying there screaming? Imagine a world without teachers. Imagine a world without parental guidance or even guidance from peers. A world where all you need to do is point an inquisitor to a relevant book or article or pamphlet. You go to a shop, you inquire about an item whether it be price or features and the consultant hands you a catalogue and say: "Here, refer to this." You would feel outraged.

Now. It is important for anyone and everyone to know and to understand that I do not aim to belittle the previous answer to this post. I myself am guilty of this action. Before any attempt is made to belittle anyone it is important to look inward and ask if you are guilty of the same action or behavior. It is important to have compassion and look at a situation from the perspective of anyone involved. Understand that I for one am eternally grateful for the previous answer to this post. At least the previous person to reply took the time to reply. They were the one and only to even attempt this. Andromeda, You have my sincerest gratitude in this regard.

I would like to see a movement away from this kind of modus operandi. Let us instead strive to give clear and honest answers. Do not give an infant formula powder and water then say: "There you go, go feed yourself."

For anyone who had the same questions as I, here is my honest but admittedly uneducated interpretation of the data studied

My employer was acting correctly and lawfully when denying my requested annual leave.
    It may not be seen as ethical but well within their rights.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Epica, thank you for a very mature answer. We do not always agree but we move on and make the best of a situation. If the employer/manager is human, he/she will eventually acknowledge that you have also made sacrifices in support of the company. Having the right attitude and not ranting/raving and burning down the place to get someone to give in to your demands does pay dividends in the end. If he/she is not human and does not acknowledge you in the long run, find another employer (I know it is not easy). My wife always says "who told you the world is fair".
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...