I have a small challenge...

The house has a 60 amp single phase supply.

A 6.50kva diesel single phase viper generator with an automatic change over panel. (220 VAC rated at 24 amps)

The right way to do this would be to install a 60 changeover panel with mechanical interlock ...that would just be too easy ... i need at least a small challenge.

The customer had the setup installed at his previous house ... which was also 60 amps ... but indicated that it worked fine with just the 6.5 kva changeove panel connected to the house ... lucky for him nothing went wrong.

My thoughts ... to fit a 60 amp contactor in a seperate housing (no space in the changeover panel) and still use the changeover panel as supplied to work with the generator.

When eskom power is on ... the 60 amp contactor is energised at the top of the contactor ... feeding power to the house ... 2 wires from the top of the contactor will feed into changeover panel to the terminals which would be use for "input".

When load shedding starts (as indicated in the new schedule sent out last week) the power will switch off drop out the 60 amp contactor.

The generator will start and feed power from the changeover panel output ... to the bottom of the 60 amp contactor through a 20 amp D curve breaker mounted same enclosure as the 60 amp contactor.

I am sure it will work ... my only concern ... if the contactor shorts closed ... but also consider that the ATS which has a mechanical interlock ...will engage as soon as the eskom power is switched on ...which will isolate the generator.

What do you think ... bad idea or you have a better solution.

Going through my store room i found a spare 3 phase 63 amp automatic changever switch ... i might just use that instead.

I have come across this issue on more than one occassion thats why i thought i would put it out there.