Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Replacing metal DBs with plastic

  1. #1
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    2,343
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 196 Times in 171 Posts

    Replacing metal DBs with plastic

    I watch a few UK sparkies ... edition 18 states that a plastic DB must be replaced with a metal DB ... wow.

    I havent installed a metal DB since the 1900s ... maybe we should get them to ship container loads of all their plastic DBs to SA ... mind you at R450 for a complete wired plastic DB ... you not gonna get cheaper than that ... never say never ... i found what use to be a good quality brand of electrical PVC components ... i nearly crapped myself when i saw how they have reduced the standard to compete with chinas junk ... i had to use a remeamer to clean the inside of the box and sand the outside to get the cover to secure on an an elbow.

    My step bit works way better on plastic enclosures

    Lets hope the SANS dont hear about this dangerous environment plastic enclosures create ... we have the DOL ... it would mean they would have to roll out from under their shell and start checking ... so we are in the clear.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

  2. #2
    Diamond Member Justloadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    2,877
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 581 Times in 495 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    One requirement of all plastic components used in electrical systems, is that they are to be manufactured with fire retardant in it, and can not be made from PVC due to the gas it releases under fire conditions.

    They must all pass the "Hot Wire" test to be SABS approved.

    Also not all types of fire retardant are usable, due to the gas they release during the manufacture of the plastic components.

    But I am sure that they follow these recommendations
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar and LED lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

  3. #3
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    2,343
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 196 Times in 171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    One requirement of all plastic components used in electrical systems, is that they are to be manufactured with fire retardant in it, and can not be made from PVC due to the gas it releases under fire conditions.

    They must all pass the "Hot Wire" test to be SABS approved.

    Also not all types of fire retardant are usable, due to the gas they release during the manufacture of the plastic components.

    But I am sure that they follow these recommendations
    In the UK plastic DBs are not allowed ... from what i understand.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

  4. #4
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,753
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked 904 Times in 731 Posts
    I suspect their deskilling of the industry in the UK with the introduction of 'Part P' resulted in an increase of consumer unit fires. Legislating that steel CU's be used is treating the symptoms, not the cause of the problem.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  5. #5
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    2,343
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 196 Times in 171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I suspect their deskilling of the industry in the UK with the introduction of 'Part P' resulted in an increase of consumer unit fires. Legislating that steel CU's be used is treating the symptoms, not the cause of the problem.
    I dont see how that could be the cause ... if you look at the electrics in SA (especially the ones hanging from bare overhead lines) we dont seem to have that many fires ?

    One thing that blows my mind about the UK electrics ... they seem to have way more rules and regs ... they shyte themselves about silly things like maintenance free junction boxes and vibration ...steel enclosures ... yet you can install a wire from the meter to the main DB without a conduit or any form of protection ... i dont get it.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

  6. #6
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,753
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked 904 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I dont see how that could be the cause ... if you look at the electrics in SA (especially the ones hanging from bare overhead lines) we dont seem to have that many fires ?........
    Not sure about the SA stats but these are from London Fire Brigade;
    In 2012/4 253 LFB recorded fires where a consumer unit was identified as the source of ignition.

    Number of fires

    2005/06 - 27
    2006/07 - 28
    2007/08 - 33
    2008/09 - 21
    2009/10 54
    2010/11 - 73
    2011/12 - 71
    2012/13 - 220
    2013/14 - 253
    Source
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing the DVD drive
    By kavesh in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Jun-18, 06:39 PM
  2. Just Bought a new house.roof needs replacing.who to contact
    By Razinatjie in forum Consumer Protection Act Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-Feb-14, 11:20 AM
  3. Replacing Light Switches
    By McZero in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jul-12, 05:49 PM
  4. Plastic bag money
    By duncan drennan in forum South African Politics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-07, 09:48 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •