Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Installation Questions

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Your esssential service like ... alarm CCTV ...router etc ... make sure they are "not" connected to an earth leakage unit.

The way i would do it ... a sub DB for the essential services ...inverter (compatible with solar for future) with a litium battery ... feeding a sub DB ... and plugs fed from the essential service DB ... are blue (not red) the plug which has a flat spot on the eatrth pin.

Put points under the top kitchen cupboards ...even if it is just a pipe with no wires ... people always want lights under the cupboards.

Your bright sparkie should be telling you all this info ... if he knows what he is doing (has the experience)

The stuff they dont teach you at college.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanks Ians, my "bright" sparkie assigned to me said none of this. Even if not quoted, it would be nice to suggest it as it could be more billing I'd pay for over and above what he already agreed with the builder.

The inverter is something I chatted to him about yesterday. He said we already had a 4 rail DB (48 way) on the quote and he was going to put main / Earth Leakage / Geyser on the top rail, plugs on the second, lights on the third and the final rail would have another breaker TO the inverter, and another BACK from it (if I understood correctly) and then the 3 plugs and 4 light circuit breakers. Not sure if that makes sense.

Last Q... blue plugs? I've not seen these? I have seen red computer UPS (as I call them) ones in my office.

Kitchen installers apparently are on the undercounter lights. No idea where they're taking power from if honest.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon123 View Post
    Thanks Ians, my "bright" sparkie assigned to me said none of this. Even if not quoted, it would be nice to suggest it as it could be more billing I'd pay for over and above what he already agreed with the builder.

The inverter is something I chatted to him about yesterday. He said we already had a 4 rail DB (48 way) on the quote and he was going to put main / Earth Leakage / Geyser on the top rail, plugs on the second, lights on the third and the final rail would have another breaker TO the inverter, and another BACK from it (if I understood correctly) and then the 3 plugs and 4 light circuit breakers. Not sure if that makes sense.

Last Q... blue plugs? I've not seen these? I have seen red computer UPS (as I call them) ones in my office.

Kitchen installers apparently are on the undercounter lights. No idea where they're taking power from if honest.
    Ask the site electrician when and why we use blue plugs ... what the diffrence is between a red plug and a blue plug ... at the same time ask him for sample ... i would be interested to hear his response.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Ask the site electrician when and why we use blue plugs ... what the diffrence is between a red plug and a blue plug ... at the same time ask him for sample ... i would be interested to hear his response.
    Me too! I'll only see him when this all starts next week, but will feed back once he's replied!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon123 View Post
    Me too! I'll only see him when this all starts next week, but will feed back once he's replied!
    80 % of the job is planning and setup ... 20 % installation ... all these things should have been sorted out with the pricing before the electrician drops the first fix team ... the brand of product to be used ... type of wiring ... chased or plaster depth ... twin +e or tube and wire ... supply cable type and size ... cable routes ... network and data points ... fibre cable route if required ... conduit size and route and this is just 5 % of the planning.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Starting at the road ... boundry mount meter box ... on the wall (is there a wall) ...on a pole ... conduit size or cable directly in the ground?

An example of what happens if the planning is not done properly ... the job is completed the "points" as per the quote are completed ... as discussed ... with very little detail ... then the problems start because what the builder and the customer discussed dont seem the same as what the electrician and builder discussed ... at the end of the day the "points" are installed at the cheapest possible cost ... which means ... no spare conduits ... no conduits in the wall ... network ... fibre etc is stuck to the wall using glue or a piece of trunking on the surface ... the customer is pi$$ed off ... feels he got ripped off ... the elctrician blocks his number because he did what was quoted for and everyone moves on.

I did a project in 2010 ... the customer spent over R200 K ... everything was flush ... with spare pipes ... wire cable trays in the roof space ... under the floor ... you name it ... everything was flush mounted ... nobody discussed the electric fence ... all that money spent ... and along comes the elctric fence installer and makes the entire job look like he was in a hurry and didnt have enough saddles or a level ... when i approuched the customer about fence guys workmanship ... and pointed out how terrible it makes the entire building look ... his was response ... "thats just how they do things" and thats how it still looks today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12