Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus only applies to certain people

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Corona virus only applies to certain people

So lets look at the big pucture ... there is all this rioting etc going on in the USA over police brutality ...what about right here in SA.

Lets talk about being bullied by police ... because of the vehicle I drive ... the colour of my skin ... i dont know ...lets hear what you think.

I pull over and I stopped (DURBAN METRO POLICE)

The cop walks up to my vehicle with his mask around his neck ...not over his mouth or nose ... i greet him ... good morning officer ... he makes me aware that i did not have my seat belt on and i agree ... he indictes that he will be issuing a fine of R300 ... ok.

He stands less than half a metre away from my face ... spitting in my face as he is talking ... Lucky i had my mask over my mouth and nose ( but they say it doesnt prevent the virus)... i would have thought he is breaking the law ... not staying 1.5 away from me.

He then requests my drivers license ... so i take it out and show it to him ... he takes it out my hand (just a reminder that there is a virus killing hundreds of thousands of people ...we have social distancing measuring in place ... etc ... etc ...etc ) and walks around my vehicle with it in his hand ... he requests that i switch on and off lights ... indicators ... windscreen wipers ... reverse lights ...brake lights ... my vehicle is road worthy ... so just a R300 for not wearing my seat belt ... i dont have a problem.

He then hands me the fine book and a pen ... and instructs me to sign using the pen ... i refuse ... he notes that i refuse to sign in the book and hands back my driver license ... at which time i take out my hand sanatiser and wipe his spit off my face and clean my drivers license ... taking into consideration that i have wiped my face about 10 times from the time i stopped.

I am on my way to work at a school where i will be accessing a whole lot of classrooms etc ... Lets hope he is not infected or any of the 50 other people he has interacted with prior to pulling me over ... Once i get to the school I wash my hands and face again and again and again during my visit.

Lets say he finds out in 4 days time he is infected.

It doesnt end there ... while getting my vehicle checked there are numerous other vehicles pulled over ... there seems to be no coonsistancy with who gets fined and who doesnt ... i notice a bakkie is pulled over during this time ... neither the drive nor the passenger is wearing seat belts ... the cops walks over to them tells them they should put their seat belt on and indicates for them to go.

Another person is pulled over also no mask no seat belt ... by this time i am started to get a little pi$$ed off like i have been targeted ... because of the vehicle i drive maybe ... i dont know.

At this point i take out my phone and notify the police that i am filming live ... the cop who is busy fining me covers tries to cover his face because he knows he is not wearing mask is less than ).5 metres away so he doesnt want to be filmed ... at this point i ask him why i am getting a R300 fine and other people are getting a warning ... and why they didnt request to see the drivers license or check the other vehicles ... i am told they know the person in the bakkie has a license and just keep warning him and his passenger about wearing a seat belt.

He then requested again that i sign the fine .. i refused on the grounds that he hadnt cleaned his pen or his hands and that i was being unfairly treated ... he then threatened to arrest me ...called other cops ...but decided to issue a summons to court so that i could ask a judge why i was targeted.

After reviewing the video footage ... it has been noted that non of the cops at the road block are practicing any form of social distancing or taking the public safety into account ... 1 in 6 wearing face masks ... in fact it is so bad that on of the officers are seen leaning with his elbows in the vehicle literally right next to the passengers face.

The big question ... when you enter a road block ...are all the social distance ... public safety and level 3 regulations etc all out the window ... they dont apply at road blocks?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    An update ... His words to me ... I saw you put your seat belt on down the road ... the fine is for not wearing your seat belt.

With what is going on ... not driving for months ...stress of everything going on around us ... wearing my seat right now is not a priority in my life ... my priority is my mask ... face shield and hand sanatizing ...which should be everyone in the front lines first responsibilty ... the fact that officers are seen leaning into vehicles talking to drivers and passengers breaks the 1.5 m barrier ...consider not one metro officers wears a shield this should no be allowed ... making contact with the public ...by taking the drivers license and then handing it back without cleaning their hands ... the fact that a pen which is not wiped clean before handing it to the driver to sign ... it just goes on and on.

Which brings me to protcol at road blocks ... surely public safety should be the police number one priority ... dealing with hundreds if not thousands of people on a daily basis ... the police should have some form protection from the public and visa versa.

If they are going to wear the mask around their neck surely they should be forced to wear a face shield?

Everyone is being told that 1.5 m is the correct social distance ... we stand in ques that distance ... in places where the distance is less ... shields are required.

This police offices neglegance could cost me my life or others engage with on a daily basis.

These road block are exposing us to a dangerous environment.

I contacted Durban Metro police this morning ... they found it rather amusing ... so i ended the call.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The main problem is that people do not take their jobs seriously. I grew up in an era where teachers, cops and nurses saw it as a calling to serve their communities. Today it is just another paid job and its OK if I can get away with doing as little as possible for the highest remuneration possible.
    If someone is involved in an accident, I will first see what there is to steal before helping the victims. Moral standards are non existent, there is no pride or patriotism. Ubuntu no longer exist. South African were once known as the hardest working and most honest people in the world. Today we are sadly at the other end of the scale. Why? Poor or non-existing leadership. Slapgatte!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A question ... Can i take legal action against Durban metro police for beaking the law? How do i open a case ... do i open a case at the saps or at metro police ?

I notified the officers that i was going to film what i believe was illegal (no social distancing and not wearing a mask in the correct manner) ... I notified them that i was removing the key from the ignition so that they couldnt fine me for using my phone camera while sitting in the vehicle ... i have video footage of the officer with his arm on the passenger door speaking to the passenger less than 0.5 m without a face shield ... and the other trying to cover his face with his fine book because he wasnt wearing his mask.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    A question ... Can i take legal action against Durban metro police for beaking the law? How do i open a case ... do i open a case at the saps or at metro police ?

I notified the officers that i was going to film what i believe was illegal (no social distancing and not wearing a mask in the correct manner) ... I notified them that i was removing the key from the ignition so that they couldnt fine me for using my phone camera while sitting in the vehicle ... i have video footage of the officer with his arm on the passenger door speaking to the passenger less than 0.5 m without a face shield ... and the other trying to cover his face with his fine book because he wasnt wearing his mask.
    You are p1$$1ng against the wind - they will eat you alive if you try!

It is best to choose battles you might be able to win. Let it slide....we want you alive!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I contacted Durban Metro police this morning ... they found it rather amusing ... so i ended the call.
    Police protecting themselves seems to be pretty universal.

No wonder calls such as #defundthepolice are getting traction

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I decided to remove the video footage and step back (my family safety).

After thinking about my experience and what i witnessed at the road block ... we are so f^&* screwed ... it is safer to walk away.

My advice ... make sure you carry a face shiled and a mask to protect yourself ... you have your own pen and gloves sanitiser and what else you need to protect yourself.

Rather dont look around ... it will get for worked up for nothing.

I dont find it so amusing ... it is a bad sign.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It was just a road block ... whats the big deal ... thousands of people are going through road blocks.

So lets put this into some perspective...

I stop ... the cops not wearing his mask in the correct manner ( it is not covering his mouth or nose) ... he is sweating on a winters day at 8 am ... not thinking i open my window as instructed ... I have my face mask on but not my face shield ( i should have put it on) ... he is so close to my vehicle that he is spitting in my face as he is talking ... not even thinking about it ... i wipe my face on numerous occassions ... get all worked up as i notice the lack of consistancey with people being checked and fined ... cut a long story short ... i wash my hands with the hand santizer i carry in my vehicle and head to work ... a school ... think about this ... during the time my vehicle is being tests i have touched my steering wheel ... my door panel ... he has my drivers license which he hands back without wiping clean ....it just goes on and on.

I drive to site and wash my hand again before entering the building ... but by this time i have touched everything ... just imagine if this cop is tested positive ... and all the people who he has come into contct with ... and all the people i have come into contact with ... factories with people in it ... office buildings i work in ... schools ... but most important my family ... my daughter has underlying issues with her lungs.

I hope this is all just a puff steam being release and nothing actually comes of it ( i am not infected by this perons neglegance.)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ian - My neighbor is a scumbag - .....this is the life we live....

Take a deep breath, shake your head, mumble F-Them to yourself and walk away....

I've had to learn to do just this to stay sane...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My staff have been trained on what to do at a client's premises. I made the mistake of thinking this is all such common sense I could expect at least the basics when I asked for a quote from a wall-to-wall carpet contractor.

The guy arrives at my house. My wife and I mask up for his visit. He wears his mask around his neck as he walks in the door...
    The pained look on his face when I asked him to mask up was... well it's going to be expensive; we'll find another contractor I think.

In case it proves useful for others, here are the basics as set out in our COVID-19 Specific Safety Plan -

Health and safety arrangements for employees at a client’s site
    30. The employer has supplied employees with appropriate PPE including sanitiser, face masks, face shields and shoe covers for use as appropriate.

31. Employees are required to sanitise their hands upon arrival and departure from the site.

32. Employees are required to:
    32.1 Wear a face mask at all times,
    32.2 Practice social distancing of at least one-and-a-half metres from any other person,
    32.3 Engage with the client prior to entering any building on the site to agree any additional COVID-19 requirements and safety measures that may be appropriate. These may include:
    32.3.1 Client wearing a face mask while employees are present
    32.3.2 The wearing of face shields
    32.3.3 The wearing of shoe covers
    32.3.4 Designated ablution facilities and processes (if applicable)
    32.3.5 Compliance with any COVID-19 protocols the client may have in place (where applicable)

Our advice for employees when the client doesn't respond to suggestions that they also need to mask up when we work in the same space as the client is in is to wear the face shield (in addition to the face mask) - or to politely offer to leave the site if the client still wants to get too close, or if there is someone showing symptoms of infection at the property.

11. Thanks given for this post:

ians (23-Jun-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast