Thread: single phase and 3 phase sockets on machines

Diamond Member
    Thanks

single phase and 3 phase sockets on machines

Here is an interesting one.

How would you interpret a plug sockets on a machine ... like a CNC lathe for example ? It doesnt form part of an electrical installtion but it would be covered by the occupation safety act.

I have a few factory full of machines with single phase an 3 phase socket outlet ... the industrial gewiss type ... not one of the machines have an earth leakage unit ... the sockets are used for parts of the machines and item like chillers or dryers which are positioned next to the machine.

The question do you tell the customer that they have to outlay tens of thousands of rands fitting earth leakage units to each machine or you just leave them because they are old machines and have been like that forever.

When you fit a new plug ... do you try fit an earht leakage in an already full control panel?

I need to find an RCD/ circuit breaker to use for these sockets at an affordable price.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    HI

I little bit of a grey area if we make it so -
    From a COC perspective the electrical installation stops at the terminals of the machine and therefore the socket does not come into the equation.
    The factory owner , or his appointed representative , basically the competent person takes responsibility for the actual machine and needs to ensure it complies in terms of the General Machinery Regulations.The competent person needs to do a risk assessment in terms of section 8.
    I would think that part of that assessment would take consideration of the incorrect usage of the socket outlet.

My suggestion would be to change the socket outlet to an isolator , which may not be practical , or change the socket outlet to a socket outlet that is " clocked" - the earth pin not at 6 o'clock.

Regulations require the socket outlet made to the standard something or other to have an earth leakage- Part of that standard is the earth pin at 6 o'clock.

I would warn the competent person in an email with the implications and suggestions - Verbally I would suggest as they come up for replacement and make sure that a spare is kept as they are not always available

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Or recommend one of these RCD in Socket
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Or recommend one of these RCD in Socket
    These are 3 phase 5 pin socket outlets ... i had to install 6 of them on one machine ... i fitted an earth leakage and circuit breakers as we do we do in a DB ... inside the control panel ... not so easy when there is no space... the other machines dont have the space ... i wish it was a simple as replacing them with isolators...
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.