Thread: Price Estimates

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Price Estimates

Im looking for some info on price estimates per point. Light point, plug point, stove and geyser points etc. Can anyone assist me with the relevant info? Or will the ECA be able to help me with it?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

There is no one price matches all and you will need to do some calculations.
    We keep a costing of all jobs so that we can refer back to as how the pricing worked out against the actual end costs and adjust on the next pricing exercise depending on how desperate we are for the work.
    You have to know the point that you will be paying for the job vs break even vs making some money.Even then you have to keep an eye on the costs through out the contract to prevent the possible loss.

There was a previous post that you may find answers which I am guessing will be similar to an ECA answer

https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/...lectrical+work

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    Im looking for some info on price estimates per point. Light point, plug point, stove and geyser points etc. Can anyone assist me with the relevant info? Or will the ECA be able to help me with it?
    The only time a per point will work is if you are building estates... block of flats or buildings which will be exactly the same dimmnesions and lots of them ... beware of using a per point cost in general installations ... this pricing is also use for low cost housing and these big fancy estates ... where the houses are all the similar ... many years ago we would wire up an entire house on workshop floor ...roll up the loom ... take it to site and just throw wires out across the roof ...clip them to the wall and the plasterer would plaster over them ... even the plasic wall boxes werent chased in ... they were only as deep as the plaster ... the plug would stick out the wall ... most of the expensive estates around Hillcrest were wired like this ... cheap and nasty wiring ... developer wanted a cheap system and boy they got it ... now the home owners sit with the endless problems ... the sad part ...you can pay 10 million for a estate house but you still get the cheap stuff installed (its all about the profit margin for the developers) and boy have i seen electrical compnies fold over the years thanks to these large developments.

Unless you plan on literally slapping twin+e on the wall (hit and run ) ...i wouldnt go down this route ... builder always do this to electricians ... they give a per point including their cut ... we go in slap the wires on the walls ...no chasing ... throw the wires across the roof space cip the wires ...connect and run like hell.

The last time i checked it was around R650 for a light poin and R800 for a plug point ...including the wiring ... box and plug ... (light points only excluding the light) we would just fit plastic batton holders to terminate the wires.

From next year March ...once i hit my 30 year goal ... i plan to start a new venture put together a business plan and making some real money .. i am gona be looking into all this mass production hit and run type work using sub contractors ... i am actually looking forward to it ... something new ...i am so bored with the same old same old plodding along.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    So what would be an avg price for a 4 bedroom home?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How long is a piece of wire?

There are too many variables to take into account to come up with a fixed cost.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    R25 000.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When you ask a question like this at least attached a detailed bill of quantities with a breakdown of labour and material ... what sort of markup you expect to make ... supplying the light fitting or batten holders.

I had a customer request a price just like you are requesting ... my response ...R25 000 ... i didnt get the job ... thank goodness.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If you want to thumb suck prices ...the easiest way to do it ...make a material list of what is required ... every single thing down to the glands ... take the material price including the markup and double it ... that will give you a very rough idea of what it will cost.