Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spam Mails

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I started going the google apps route, but I must say although it is in not too difficult terms I am a litlle confused as to what should be done apart from paying them $50. Fortunately I have the weekend ahead of me and will hopefully figure out what I must do.

Thanks
    Faan, there is no need to pay them anything. There is a free option available.

1. Go to http://www.google.com/a
    2. Click on "Get Started"
    3. Click on "Sign up" for the Standard Edition (free)
    4. Click on "I want to use my own domain name" (I've assume you have your own domain, and not a mweb, telkom, etc. email address?)
    5. Enter your domain in the box (e.g. faansdomain.com)
    6. Fill in the form
    7. Enter the name for your admin account, and read through the T&C's carefully to make sure you are happy with them
    8. Now you have an admin account for the domain on Google Apps.
    9. Create accounts for each of the email addresses that you already have setup for you domain.
    10. Follow the information under "Activate Email" (and here) to configure your DNS records (this is the tricky part you need your hosting provider to do).
    11. If all is well, you should be able to send an email to your current email address and then receive it via Googles Mail.
    12. You can now set up your email client to use Gmail, following their instructions.

There are a couple of caveats to this! So be sure you understand exactly what they are before you move over. One that I can think of is that email messages must be under 20MB, which can be an issue if you are expecting to receive messages bigger than this.

Just be sure you are happy with what you will be getting before switching. You can always switch back, but it will require changing all the DNS records back to what they were.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I went the Google way, but at the same time before I could do so the spam mails stopped. I think my host was involved as well as I severely complained to them. They however did not inform me about any action on their side. My feeling about their response is why did they not do something when I started complaining.

Going the Google way Google asks me now to do the following: "Step 2: Verify domain ownership from the control panel with either
    verification: upload an HTML file or create a special CNAME record." I am afraid I do not now what this means.

I also decided to register another website and also go the Google way, but .co.za wants me to provide all sorts of things, i.e Name Server details and Google requires domain ownership before they are prepared to do anything except when I take a .com name.

Thanks
    Faan, do you have access to the files on your website? All you need to do is upload an html (web page) file to confirm ownership.

Maybe, if the spam has stopped (or at least slowed), it would be better to just stick with what you have for now?

The next step of google apps set up process involved changing CNAME records to redirect your mail (basically the servers need to know to send mail to your email address, it should actually go to googles servers).
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Faan, might I suggest this site: bluebottle - spam free email

A quote from the site:

It is estimated that approximately 90 billion spam emails are sent everyday*, and some days it feels like they have all been sent to you. So it's important that you have an email provider you can trust to keep your email spam-free.

Bluebottle Spam-Free Email uses patent pending anti-spam technology to block and stop the spam that is targetting your inbox.

Bluebottle uses a simple challenge/response method to ensure that the only emails you receive are the ones you want to receive.

Thanks
    Riaan
    Are you using bluebottle? I would like to try it for a telkom email address were I am getting about 40 spams emails a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    Faan, might I suggest this site: bluebottle - spam free email
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12