Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strange voltages

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Wow ... 23 June 2020 ... trying to find out what happened to my MT 250 which i had couriered to JHB to find out why the strange voltages ... apprently it was sent to Major tech durban branch 2 weeks ago for collections ... i called JHB today to find out about my meter.

I am told there is nothing wrong with the meter ... i am just gonna leave it right there. (my rubber mallet handle is broken again ... will collect a new one today)
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    And so the challenge continues ... i dont know why i dont just dump this rubbish (major tech MT 250) and spend the money on something that works.

https://www.major-tech.com/product/t...urrent-logger/

I eventually got the MT 250 back ... it should be working right.

I have a breakdown which requires some recordings ... pumps keep tripping the overload ... no problem ... i setup the MT 250 to record voltage and current 2 days later i go to site and down load the info ... only 10 data points recorded ... so i connect the laptop and make sure the voltag and current is set ...check the date is correct and upload to record ...2 days later i return to site ... same thing the recorder is only recording 10 data point ... 20 minutes of recording ... by this time i have already figued out what was causing the pumps to trip ... i learnt something new and it had nothing to do with the electrical ... so i reset the MT 250 and l leave the MT 250 on site to verify that the pumps are running at a constant current.

I go to site toay and download the data ...same thing 10 data points ... and this is where the real challenge starts ... I contact Major tech to try reslove the issue with the MT 250 ... lets see how long it takes for them to resolve this issue ... i have spoken to 3 "experts" at Major tech ... nobody can answer my questions ... i still dont have the software ... i have also sent them a message on their website ... now we wait.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The MT 250 arrived back this week ...with a test report indicating there is no fault ... ok.

So flip open the laptop and open CVS datalogger software...
    plug the cable into the MT 250 and the laptop...
    go to instrument tab ... correct time (also a good habit to ge tinto when using datalogging equipment) ... update the date and time ...press ok...
    back to instrument tab ...datalogger setup ... sample rate 1 second ... channel setup voltage ... manual ...test 7 ...setup ...
    unplug the unit from the latop and take it to the voltage sensor and plug it in...
    press and hold start/stop ... until rec appears on the display...
    leave it for an hour ... press stop/start until the rec is off...
    plug it back into the laptop go to instrument tab ... download data ...a tab "waiting for connection" ... "connected"...
    click on download ... "logging..." appears on the screen ...a blue line fills the tab and then you wait .... and wait .... and wait ... and wait...

what should happen ... a graph should appear on the screen with all the info...
    test 8
    rec channel :voltage
    sample rate: 1 s
    start time
    datano
    mx min
    with a graph below it

not so lucky

So i take the unt to another laptop and try the same thing ... same problem.

So I open an old file to view (before it started its journeys back to major tech repair centre) the files open no problem ... I view the content.

Tried everything ... even instrument tab ... previos measurments ... no luck ... import data to list ... nothing.

So i contact Major tech at 8 am this morning and leave my contact details with tier Durn branch and head office ... apparently everyone is on leave today ... so it looks like the piece crap will sit on my desk for another week ... its been months of return trips to the technical department so whats another couple weeks

Major tech ... your service is as bad if not worse than the MT products you sell.

https://www.major-tech.com/product/t...urrent-logger/

I should have spent the extra R6k and bought the K series unit.

https://www.major-tech.com/product/t...eakage-logger/

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Checked the unit on another computer ... works fine ... try both my computers again it works on downloads up to 6 hours ... longer recordings dont work.

After hours of frustrations ... I figued out that the problem is the driver ... apparently my computers have an updated driver (6.3) and the MT250 requires driver 5.3 ... a couple hours later I eventually got the driver to load on the netbook ... still cant get it to work on the laptop.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The reason the driver will not load on my laptop ... it's windows 10.

Windows 10 has a security features which restricts access to certain exe files ... there are a few options to "switch off" the admin user acess control ... "This app has been blocked for your protection."

Just a waste of more of my time ... if i were the "technical person" at Major tech ... I would take the time to learn how to do it so that I could advise my customers how to resolve this issue

Thanks
    You can probably give the app or driver the permissions it needs to run in Windows UAC settings. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-control-works

7. Thanks given for this post:

ians (02-Oct-20)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    For the record, the Major tech MT 250 is advertised as a true RMS meter.

https://major-tech.com/product/true-...urrent-logger/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12