Thread: Power issue

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Power issue

I have a client whos tv goes off when the kitchen light is switched on and then the tv comes back on in a second or so. I can't find ang wiring issues. Any idea what could cause this?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What type of light fitting is it - My initial thought is neutral fault which causes funnies but if wiring is ok and different circuit it makes no sense
    Does it do it every time ?
    I would attached a different fitting loose on the kitchen floor and try and see what happens

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have had this same issue in the past ...We found a loose connection on the overhead line on the road... loose connections in the DB ...missing neutral wires...you name it.

the fact that it affects the plug and light circuit ...tells me it is from supply side.. unless the plugs and lights are on a common circuit ...i would start with a loop impedance tests at various points... check for loose connections at the DB and meter box.

The first question i ask the customer ... do the lights flicker on occasion... if the answer is yes ... i check the supply connections.... but hey without a site visit its just a thumb suck.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was called to site to do an inspection report recently... the owner indicated that he had only used the best sparkies so the inspection should be quick and easy... i then decided to go back to the van and get ALL my test equipment...bright torches ...a long ladder and even the crawling boards... and just as i expected the place was a nightmare ...i still havent completed the repairs.

why i mentioned it ...one of the issues i found was the light in the lounge would flicker if you switched on the dinning room light ...cut a long story short ... the neutral was not connected at the dinning room light ... it seems we were getting feed back via the lamps causing the lights to flicker...

One thing i have learnt ...start where you can see someone has worked on the electrical installation ...in my case as i scanned the roof space i noticed a round box missing a cover and a piece of twin coming out the box ... went straight to the box and repaired the fault... no more flickering lights.

If you open a box and see skrewits ... even though the wires look all twisted and tight ...it is one of the most common faults i find ...one of the wires break off at the skrewit... because the sparky twists the wires just that one time tooo many.

one day i might write a book on all the fault finding stories ...bad paying customers ... projects i have taken on which were way beyond my capabilities ...but because you are a one man business ...you cant just call a meeting and discuss it ...you sink or swim ... i have became a strong swimmer... (dont worry i would get a ghostwriter to make sure the grammar and spelling was right )
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    one day i might write a book on all the fault finding stories ...bad paying customers ... projects i have taken on which were way beyond my capabilities ...but because you are a one man business ...you cant just call a meeting and discuss it ...you sink or swim ... i have became a strong swimmer... (dont worry i would get a ghostwriter to make sure the grammar and spelling was right )
    Bad paying customers is a book in itself.... I never let them fully get away with it.