Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A better solution for alarm backup

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I am not familiar with the paradox system ... the reason I use and support IDS ... I can contact the technical department and dicuss these kind of queries.

When I spoke to the people at blue nova a while back ... they informed me that I wouldnt need to change anything on my alarm.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debtcollectorZA View Post
    I bought a 22ah Bluenova battery for my UPS. I did some diy to have the battery sit outside the UPS as it is much bigger than the standard 7ah lead acid. It lasts longer than the 7ah as you'd expect being 3 times the capacity but not much longer. I suspect because the lithium has a higher float voltage thus the UPS stops charging before the battery is full.

I want to do the same for my alarm as loadshedding kills those lead acid batteries in months, not years.

To what voltage would a Paradox alarm charge the battery? Is there a way to up this voltage to 14.4 to fully charge the lithium battery?
    Whoa - you can not replace a Lead Acid with a Lithium with out changing the charger.
    Battery chargers are not interchangeable when it comes to Lithium batteries.

You must get a separate battery charger for the lithium battery, then insert a Skotky diode in series with the battery to your alarm system. This is to stop the system charger from feeding back to the battery.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Whoa - you can not replace a Lead Acid with a Lithium with out changing the charger.
    Battery chargers are not interchangeable when it comes to Lithium batteries.

You must get a separate battery charger for the lithium battery, then insert a Skotky diode in series with the battery to your alarm system. This is to stop the system charger from feeding back to the battery.
    Not according to Blue nova ... I was told the 7 amp/hr was design designed and built as a replacement to the lead acid battery ... I dont have the knowledge or experience to comment ... just what I was told ... that sure that it applies to the 22 amp/hr ... I would contact blue nova and verify.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Not according to Blue nova ... I was told the 7 amp/hr was design designed and built as a replacement to the lead acid battery ... I dont have the knowledge or experience to comment ... just what I was told ... that sure that it applies to the 22 amp/hr ... I would contact blue nova and verify.
    Will be interested in what they say.
    Lithium by nature of its chemistry does not match the same voltages of lead acid.
    The so called label of 12V is more of an indication of the voltage that it reaches at some point when working.
    Just like lead acid, a fully charged battery starts out at 13.8V, then drops to 13.2V then as you use it , the voltage slowly drops down, and at about 11V it is approximately at 50% of capacity. When it reaches 10.5V it is almost depleted of its energy.

Next time take your Volt meter with and see what the terminal voltage is.
    Just remember that your alarm system will look at 10.5V as a flat battery.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12