Thread: Pre-Paid electrical meter

Email problem
    Thanks

Pre-Paid electrical meter

If I need to install a pre paid electrical meter in a rented (townhouse) property, can an electrician do it and activate it, or does it have to be done through the municipality.

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is how it is done in durban:

firstly you need to make sure you have building plans even if the building is exsisting...then you put in an application to durban metro for a pre paid meter...they will approve it or not approve it depending on the area in which you live...i have had them decline an application because it was in a middle class area...then you need to get an electrician to fit a concentric cable with the 2 signal wires from the meter box to a 4x4 box mounted next to the applicable DB...i personally run the mains cable straight to the DB but it confuses the council electrician who does the conection...and only run the signal cable to the 4x4 box.

the mains cable is just ferroled together in the 4x4 box but it seems like the council electrcians have been taught a specific way and boy will you have a problem if it is not done the way they are taught...you will need to get the supervisor out and explain to him what you have done...otherswise they wont do the connection.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hey rohor,

Better late than never but why don't you just use a privately owned and managed sub-meter for your prepaid metering?

They are quick to fit, don't need any involvement from the municipality and leave you in control.

Thanks
    Hiya, Something to consider seriously with prepaid (why it caught my attention) is how do you purchase credits? On my system you have to purchase from a few select suppliers or council. There are 2 or 3 garages in Midrand that supply and council. Guess how often they off line etc. And the real issue... i cant buy online! They are not set up online. So check out supplier and see what/where you are able to buy credit!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Yes this is a major problem with municipal prepaid metering.

It should be noted that the prepaid system used by prepaidmeters.co.za is actually not municipal. It is privately owned and privately managed. Which means it is good if you are a landlord or managing agent.

The system works via SMS which means that provided the tenant has paid money for electricity to the persons managing their meter, they can send SMS for tokens 24/7/365.

But I do understand your frustration with the municipal metering. If your meter is municipal registered, you may also want to try easypay.co.za. Not the most friendly of solutions, but I heard it can work if your meter is found.

hope this helps