Thread: What is Web 3.0?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is Web 3.0?

What exactly is Web 3.0? Or maybe the question is "What will be Web 3.0?"

If we take a look at calacanis.com here we see this:
    Web 3.0 is defined as the creation of high-quality content and services produced by gifted individuals using Web 2.0 technology as an enabling platform.
    However, if we scroll down to the comments there is scathing criticism.

Now I really like the idea of "high-quality content and services produced by gifted individuals using Web 2.0 technology as an enabling platform" - I'm hoping that this is where this site is headed. However, is this Web 3.0?

Currently I'm leaning towards this view by Phil Gomes expressed in the comments section:
    I agree with the need for evolution and reform, but I think you're talking about Web 2.1.
    My intuitive feel is that if it's built on a Web 2.0 platform, can it be Web 3.0?

If anyone wants to take a shot at a tight definition of what Web 3.0 is (or might be) exactly, this blog entry by Brian Solis, Web 3.0 is about intelligence might be a good place to start.

Thanks
    My 3G is acting up totally so I will have to give my opinion about Web 3.0 without reading the original post. Recently there was a discussion on Bizcommunity aswel mentioning web 3.0. So I will try to give my opinion about it as it ties in strongly with one of my current projects. As far as I know Web 3.0 has not been officially coined yet, so here is my opinion about it.

Web 3.0 is actually already here. Online applications like Facebook are the leaders in it and it will grow into a database driven web haven for open source applications. It will be a clever web that utilizes the power of clever online applications to fully utilize the benefits of your database. Although we are already utilizing databases we are not remotely utilizing it's full potential in Web 1.0 and 2.0. Enough said, my opinion is the author on the blog is missing the point.

Web 4.0 will be artificial intelligence age.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    Online applications like Facebook are the leaders in it and it will grow into a database driven web haven for open source applications. It will be a clever web that utilizes the power of clever online applications to fully utilize the benefits of your database. Although we are already utilizing databases we are not remotely utilizing it's full potential in Web 1.0 and 2.0.
    That makes me wonder if vBulletin is looking to catch up. Not only has the new version introduced a social networking component, it has introduced a horde of new hooks. For those not familiar with software architecture, hooks are essentially points in a program where you can "bolt on" additional program functionality without interfering with the core platform.

I think the challenge is to develop add-on apps that are meaningful, though. Passing drinks and pie throwing may be fun, but it isn't improving meaningful information extraction from the database for the user. Or are there meaningful apps out there I haven't seen yet?

Something else that I've been wondering about is collaboration. Again, looking at vBulletin as an example, the potential exists for cross-site collaboration for what could be a "super site" made up of lots of smaller, seperately managed and owned sites. I see Google's work on a cross platform app that brings portability for social network users as a big step forward for this.

There is just so much potential out there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think the challenge is to develop add-on apps that are meaningful, though. Passing drinks and pie throwing may be fun, but it isn't improving meaningful information extraction from the database for the user. Or are there meaningful apps out there I haven't seen yet?
    The viral part of SMO is very much an important acquisitions and retention tool. But my question is the following. What is the true benefit, true meaning of the web, from a business perspective? It is the ease of obtaining accurate information on our customers. In other words, fully understanding what their needs are and what the really want. It is driving sales utilizing information that are targeted. One of the unique qualities of Web 3.0, is the use of semantics. Semantics will drive sales on the Internet and will drive increased activity on the Internet.

It is important to understand semantics for a future web business, because semantics will affect all marketing strategies and techniques in the future. It is already clear that Google and Yahoo! are slowly applying these factors to their algorithms. But they are only scraping the top of the ice cream. Public relations, customer loyalty and marketing will be redefined, in a very short period of time. It will be a time for people that understand the possibilities and with creative minds to make the web an even faster evolutionary world. Web 3.0 will be a fantastic time of our lifetime. Management strategies will have to change, within South Africa as well. It is no secret that the educated youth of today knows more than the average 50 year old. They will have to be managed and included in strategies more and more, to ensure that their creativity forms a more serious part of the average business. The changes coming is going to enter a new era where management styles of visionaries like Dale Carnegie will apply in more and more successful business.
    Man, I almost ran away with it there for a while

I think vBulletin has been the leader in the forum software industry for the past few years exactly because they are taking initiative and leading, while other BB's are following. But they will have to do alot more to even remotely qualify for Web 3.0. However they are miles ahead of their competition. The likes of Facebook are also missing some serious points and advantages, by having some serious usability problems, one of the key factors of Web 3.0 will be finding the balance between privacy and usability.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa