Thread: Electrician Tools

Thanks

Electrician Tools

Hi, good day gents. I've been an electrician for just over 10 years in various industries. Hand tools has never really been something I pay much attention to, basically I use what I have or what the company supplies. Started off with a Gedore toolbox at Transnet, had a Wurth set at a company after that, which I fell inlove with. Currently I'm at the CoCT and was issued with a Unior bag of tools that I've been using for 3 years. My own personal tools has always been the red hellerman tyton that I pick up at Voltex while buying material. They get the job done. But don't last too long.

So basically I'm in the market for new hand tools, what brands and models are your go to when purchasing your tools. I've been looking at Knipex, (I wish their pliers had a crimper). For screwdrivers I've been looking at the Wiha slimfix.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    I've used Knipex pliers and side cutters as long as I can remember, they're superb. Screwdrivers I use Wera, Wiha and Bahco. I actually prefer the feel of Wiha but Wera with the interchangeable tips are handy for being a lightweight and small set to carry. With the Bahco set they seem to have found that perfect balance of tip hardness where they don't crack but they're almost indestructable and don't wear out.

Thanks
    @AndyD Good morning Sir, appreciate your response. I cannot locate a single supplier of Bahco VDE screwdrivers in South Africa. Did you perhaps bring them in yourself?

I was initially tempted to purchase the Wera you are referring to and I probably will in the future for a small carry around when doing inspections but for the time being I'd like to replenish my tool bag. I feel that the interchangeability would be a nuisance in my everyday work tasks.

I'm hoping with the input of others I won't need to experience my own trial and errors with my purchase and will be able to make a more educated and calculated purchase.

Thanking you in advance

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ CONTRACTORS View Post
    @AndyD Good morning Sir, appreciate your response. I cannot locate a single supplier of Bahco VDE screwdrivers in South Africa. Did you perhaps bring them in yourself?

I was initially tempted to purchase the Wera you are referring to and I probably will in the future for a small carry around when doing inspections but for the time being I'd like to replenish my tool bag. I feel that the interchangeability would be a nuisance in my everyday work tasks.

I'm hoping with the input of others I won't need to experience my own trial and errors with my purchase and will be able to make a more educated and calculated purchase.

Thanking you in advance
    I have more than 5 different screwdriver sets at the moment... I have wasted so much money on screwdrivers trying to find the right ones ...because i replace them so often no matter which brand i use ... i now just buy the cheapest ...but stay away from the major tech ones ... the tip snaps off.

I keep a wera interchangeable set in the van for when i am commissioning ... they have the right tips for circuit breakers... one day when i become a real electrician i will buy myself a torque set.

I have considered spending R900 on a Wiha set ...but just cant justify the expense...what i have noticed and why i did consider them ...the insulation near the tip is not thick like the cheapies.

I enjoy the gedore blue handle electrician screwdrivers they last a long time ...however they are not insulated so i just keep the very thin tip and the next one up.

If you can afford knipex ...i would spend the money... i want to get the bootlace crimper from knipex 0.02 - 16 mm ...at R3k ...if i was still doing a lot of panel building in my spare time ... i would have bought one a long time ago... i still have a weidmuller wire stripper since year dot... if you spend good money on good tools and look after them ...they last a lifetime.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I have more than 5 different screwdriver sets at the moment... I have wasted so much money on screwdrivers trying to find the right ones ...because i replace them so often no matter which brand i use ... i now just buy the cheapest ...but stay away from the major tech ones ... the tip snaps off.

I keep a wera interchangeable set in the van for when i am commissioning ... they have the right tips for circuit breakers... one day when i become a real electrician i will buy myself a torque set.

I have considered spending R900 on a Wiha set ...but just cant justify the expense...what i have noticed and why i did consider them ...the insulation near the tip is not thick like the cheapies.

I enjoy the gedore blue handle electrician screwdrivers they last a long time ...however they are not insulated so i just keep the very thin tip and the next one up.

If you can afford knipex ...i would spend the money... i want to get the bootlace crimper from knipex 0.02 - 16 mm ...at R3k ...if i was still doing a lot of panel building in my spare time ... i would have bought one a long time ago... i still have a weidmuller wire stripper since year dot... if you spend good money on good tools and look after them ...they last a lifetime.
    Good day Sir, I appreciate your reply.

I've had a set of the blue handle Gedore, the reason I think I absolutely hate them is that the company I worked for decided to engrave our toolbox number on the handle which made them unpleasant to work with. In fact it was at that point I started using the managers Wurth set when needing to apply excessive torque.

The Wiha slim fix seems as it is the set I am going to settle with, for that exact reason. I think working at the moment for distribution at the Council has made me laxy daisy about working with VDE tools. I work live daily on kiosks and overheads, 80% without gloves as I struggle with certain tasks. It's made me adapt good habits with regards to not getting bitten. But sometimes when working privately there's that little voice from your shoulder that tells you to grab the insulated set today lol. I rather have it when needed than not have it.

With regards to knipex, the places I can find that stock it don't have the 200mm pliers in the insulated model. I would've loved to have the 250mm. I'll probably settle with the 200mm with the red dipped handles if nobody comes along and says the handles are shite.

For side cutters and long nose I've fallen inlove with the Felo brand for the fact that they're insulated but have never held a pair or known anybody with a pair...

I agree with the majortech, I snap those mofos undoing breakers. The reps keep blaming it on a bad batch.

Don't laugh but I had to Google Weidmuller, I'm new to brands other than what Voltex stocks.

My intention is to do exactly that, buy a good set for my personal use and hope they last until retirement.

Again,thank you for your response. I'm mostly settled on knipex but hope to find the models I want.

I apologize if my response is all over the place, just came from nightshift and the brain is shutting down.

Cheers

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Back in the day when i started working cresent pliers were the ones to have... i still have and use my cresent pliers... however i found a cable cutter which i buy 5 at a time.

The marvel ME-22C cable cutter is the best tool i have ever used for cutting and stripping wires from 0.5 - around 6 mm ...coms cables... coaxial ... you name it....it compact ...insulated and sharp ...once you used one of these cable cutters and get the hang of using it ...It hard to go back to using anything else.

When it comes to testers ...there are 2 quality testers ...FLuke and kyoritsu (now branded under major tech) but dont mix Kyoritsu and major tech ...the kyoritsu brand is generally black with the part number starting with a K ...stay away from the MT stuff...unless you have money to keep replacing.

My fluke equipment generally lasts around 20 years... the leads dont ... but still better than other brands.

moving onto power tools... Hilti and makita ... when it comes to concrete ...drill breaking walls etc ...Hilti wins hands down... when it comes to wood work ...small impact driller etc makita wins hands down...however i have a small makita chipper which we use for cleaning out the brick after chasing ... I had a hilti chipper but it use to get too hot.

Some tools are just better than others ...i have the full range of the bosch 10.8 volt tools... 4 drills ...impact drivers and 20 batteries (from buying the kits) like my me 22 ...you will always see a small bosch machine in my tool kit.

One day i should do a show and tell of my site setup.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't have an opinion on electrical tools per se - AndyD and IanS are the experts.

My advice would be to purchase the best tools you can afford and to ENGRAVE YOUR NAME on them so that the engraving is visible for the entire world to see. That way the tools should not get stolen and if you forget a tool on site there is no dispute as to who the owner might be.

After having had employees steal everything that wasn't bolted down I got to engraving my stuff. I sport a Fluke 77 with my name engraved in bold on its face. The bottom line is that if you buy good tools then you shouldn't ever need to sell them.

Pawn shops are filled with stolen tools because the tools cannot be identified. Don't hide your name - put it in plain sight so that a thief won't bother to steal the tool.